New Temp Admin

The Evil Cashew

The Evil Cashew

I would just like to take a moment to inform you all that Goonie (aka Gremlin) has had to temporarily step away from being an admin to take care of some things in RL.

Therefore, the admods decided that for now we will just choose a temp admin to cover goonie for a couple months.(giving her roughly till the end of novemeber) Then at that time we will reevaluate the situation and see if we need something more permanent or will stay with a temp.. or what not

Gremlin and the other Admins have asked Mac to temp admin. Goonie will now mod site comments and EasyMac will stay JFF mod as well as help the admins.

~Admin Cashew

I would like to formally request that, if a new Admin is needed, we hold a general election for the position as we decided it should be back in November of 2004. I do not want any of my leaders chosen for me.

The Evil Cashew

Ataraxia..

i dont'; have a problem with this...

i was not aware thats thats what was decided in 2004... because sometime back when i was first made mod... a new procredure was decided and voted on... i'll look for it so i can post it....

cuz i know that winter, goonie, amcan and myself were all voted it just from the admods.....

~Cashew

I was voted in by the general forum, as were Kez and Aeireono, in December of 2004. That was before there was an admod team as such or admod forum.

I like the idea of new admins being chosen from the ranks of current mods because they need to have experience. I just prefer that we have a say in which one is selected.

The Evil Cashew

yes...

makes sense. i'm ok with it. i was just going with what was done in my past as admin cuz i thought that was right?

if goons doesn;t come back we will hold a generall election

~Cashew

:shock: sorry to cause an uproar. The admod team, and Mac in particular, is doing me a huge favor that I didn't expect.

I have to say I had also never heard of such an incident (before my time).

cash, winter, me, Gremlin, and departed admins shivers and Hex were all voted in by the admod team.

And it's clear Mac's appointment is temporary, not permanent. We figured that was the easiest way of providing cover for awhile whilst Gremlin deals with some issues but she remains a very active member here as it is.

I'm interested as to why this issue is being raised now when it's clear it is not the first such incident of an admin being voted in just by the admods (who are probably best placed to judge how well a person will do in the role).

Thinking back, I just always assumed that those people being voted on to be admods were nominated from the general forum. I think that could be why it's being brought up. Liver, CatePerfect, and I think one other were, in the beginning, chosen from among the group. As the more active members, it seemed clear that they would be nominated. As with the current mod group, they tend to be the more active members and so it would seem that they may have been nominated b/c they were so prolific and occupied a good portion of their time at AVEN. Anyway, if that's how we decided it should work, so be it. But I think it's not unfair to question how the process is going to work. AVEN works so well because most of the time everyone can participate. That's the precedent DJ set way back in the days when it was first started.

EDIT: Realized just now that I'm a 3 year member. Missed my aveniversary though. But I've seen AVEN through most of its history (I was originally a member in Feb. 2003 but had to re-register in July 2003).

Yeah, admins used to be nominated from the general board. But it was decided that it's better to have some knowledge of how the system works, so we introduced mods becoming admins.

I think the mods becoming admins makes sense, but why are only the mods allowed to vote for the admins?

I have to say I had also never heard of such an incident (before my time).

cash, winter, me, Gremlin, and departed admins shivers and Hex were all voted in by the admod team.

And it's clear Mac's appointment is temporary, not permanent. We figured that was the easiest way of providing cover for awhile whilst Gremlin deals with some issues but she remains a very active member here as it is.

I'm interested as to why this issue is being raised now when it's clear it is not the first such incident of an admin being voted in just by the admods (who are probably best placed to judge how well a person will do in the role).

I realize that Mac is a temp and that doesn't bother me. I'm just concerned that the process which was established back then has since been ignored. Somewhere along the line somebody decided to do things differently and the community lost one of the powers we had been given.

I have been considering this issue for a while and I only brought it up now because the possibility of choosing a new admin was mentioned. The timing of it really isn't relevant to anything else.

In order to represent the people you must be chosen by the people.

It was 2 years ago the system changed. Since then we have have had numerous admins created and I don't recall any of the mods at the time suggesting the system was flawed. Or not agreeing with the descision to temp admin. We have had mods temp adminned for a day or so to help with trolls or spam influxes.

I would like to know how and why the system was changed 2 years ago.

And the admins have all previously been elected as mods by the people of AVEN so I would think that that is proof of the trust they have in a person.

Admins actually do little other than ban and delete spam and move threads when mods aren't around, the primary day to day power rests more in the hands of the mods in their particular forums.

I aslways wait for the mods to take action and if the situation is desperate then I do that but over-all I prefer to leave things to the mods becuase that is what they were elected to do.

Perhaps we should make a polll to ask the people what they think?

And the admins have all previously been elected as mods by the people of AVEN so I would think that that is proof of the trust they have in a person.

Admins actually do little other than ban and delete spam and move threads when mods aren't around, the primary day to day power rests more in the hands of the mods in their particular forums.

However, in some case a person who was elected in a position of trust doesn't do their job. I do believe the mods would not elect someone to be temporary admod who let hell break lose and stay lose in their forum, without so much as a play nice warning.However, I don't think anyone should be making decisions for the members except the members themselves, and it appears that it wasn't the members as a whole, who made this decision about appointing mods.

I for one thing decisions not made by the community should be stopped now, when they minor. That way they will never progress into major decisions.

I'd see nothing wrong if say this were a two week appointment, but 6 months is quite a long time to have an unelected person filling in - that's the entire length of term for pt members.

Perhaps we should make a polll to ask the people what they think?

They're the ones who voices should count.

I'd see nothing wrong if say this were a two week appointment, but 6 months is quite a long time to have an unelected person filling in - that's the entire length of term for pt members.

Well, not quite six. Cash did say until about November.

Also, just to clarify, the main reason I'm doing this (besides helping out Goonie) is to help the others take care of spam accounts. If we weren't having such a problem with this at the moment, I doubt it would be necessary to even have a temp on board.

I haven't been mentally stable recently. I will finally admit that. I was headed down the road to a major breakdown. I was hurting those close to me (which hurt me the worst) and I knew I couldn't do the admin job properly. That is why I stepped down. I didn't think it was fair to the rest of AVEN to have me in a position and not doing the position.

I'm working on getting better. I have to or else I will end up damaging close friendships beyond repair and end up loosing some really bitchin people in my life.

If the rest of aven wants, I will go through the election process for admin again. It doesn't bother me any.

I have nothing against any of the current admins or Mac as a temp. I just prefer the more democratic system we used back in my day.

*hobbles away*

And Gremlin, I understand why you wouldn't want to openly say that on the board. I was fine with not knowing. After all, I didn't openly state why I stepped down.

The Evil Cashew

Trip: its NOT 6 months... its 3 august, september and october.(ok three and a bit cuz of the week and a half in july) i was gonna to reevaluate the situation. and then if we have to relelect.

originally we were NOT going to get an admin to replace Gremlin right away. we were gonna wait and see but since there has been ALOT of spam accounts lately.. i said i wanted the extra person to help with deleating htem cuz its a pain!

(and mac is doing a wonderful job)

Sometime when cate was still admin (and i was a mod) i rememebr a series of polls with the mods about how things were to be done. it was THEN that the system changed cuz i remember 1 poll about how the admins were to be chosen.. then .. after that (to my knowledge) is how hex, amcan, winter, goons, myself and anyoen else i might have missed got voted to admin. we were nominated, and elected by the mods and then voted on cuz it was said taht the mods knew who among themselves who did a good job and what not.

(i am trying to find those discussions and when i do i will post links)

apparentlty.. somewhere in tehre ... the older admins forgot abotu previous decisions.

thats fine. thanks for bringing it up Ataraxia... we can go back to the old way and have aven vote among the avenites to decide who should be admin.

~Cashew

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. I personally don't have a much of a problem with admods choosing new admin because that's how I've always remember it being done and I think they can make a good decision based on everything they know about the post and person. Although, in the past I have found it a little unsettling when told who will be the new admin and I think why.

Sometime when cate was still admin (and i was a mod) i rememebr a series of polls with the mods about how things were to be done. it was THEN that the system changed cuz i remember 1 poll about how the admins were to be chosen.. then .. after that (to my knowledge) is how hex, amcan, winter, goons, myself and anyoen else i might have missed got voted to admin. we were nominated, and elected by the mods and then voted on cuz it was said taht the mods knew who among themselves who did a good job and what not.

This sounds like the desicion was made by the admods which doesn't seem quite right.

Does anyone keep a clear set of offical rules on electing and about the roll of mods and admin? It often seems it is made up when necessary and the rules are always evolving. People's memory can only be as long as the time they've been here.

I would also like to know whether it's the admods or just the admin who vote someone in though?

cash ir right the spam is so tough to handle we need Mac int o help with that, that's pretty much all she is doing as an admin, to be honest these days that is pretty much what all the admins do.

I aslo remember a discussion being held by Cate about how people should be elected. As far as I recall this was before the admod forum was created. Before that mods and dmins did discussions via PM alone.

I do recall at the time the majority of people were happy to have admins elected by the all mods in a poll in the admod forum and it is a proper poll I hasten to add.

So I think the best thing to do is run a poll and see what the members themselves think about the current system.

I do agree we need some clear rules on this the problem is there is much discussion on this but as yet no clear rules. There hopefully soon will be.

I would like to formally request that, if a new Admin is needed, we hold a general election for the position as we decided it should be back in November of 2004. I do not want any of my leaders chosen for me.

Checked out your comic--cute!

i just say keep it the same

The Evil Cashew

Ataraxia:

i can't find the thread i am looking for. but if you go to the mod forum and look at the end of page 5 and the beginning of page 6 there are a ton of polls that the admods voted on... and in the one about amods there is a comment made "All admins will be chosen by mods"

i think its around that time that things got.... confused...

~Cashew

I wasn't able to find one with that in it either, Cash. I did find one that said new admins would be voted on by the whole admod team though.

I also have links to the threads where we discussed the process for doing the original elections and the election threads themselves.

I like that admins are voted for by mods. I trust y'all with the site, much more than I trust every single user to make the best decision. I'm for democracy and whatnot, but the idea of an admin being voted in by the uninformed scares me. If put to the test, I would not be able to vote for a new admin without being filled with doubts at every turn. But I trust the mods with their decisions. And there's my $.02, though I do understand all parts of the situation at hand...

FelineFanatic

and I would like to say that our temp. admin is doing a Simply Marvelous job. :wink:

I think AmoebicMe made good points.

It seems to me that very few AVENites have an issue here.

As this discussion hasn't been added to ina week I am giong to unannouce this thread.

Amcan

admin

Archived