Discovery Channel Details

AVENguy

Just got off the phone with Karyn from the discovery channel, who said the following:

The episode looks like it'll consist mostly of us, with a slight focus on me-as-webmaster, punctuated by various experts saying various things. Here's what they're going to have us :

A) Talking. This will involve us sitting in some domestic setting (I have to find a good one) and asking personal but broad questions about asexuality. (E.G, Does your family know? How have people reacted when you told them? Stuff like that.)

B) Frolicking. Becuase they want to make this a not-just-dry-talking episode, they're going to have shots of us doing something fun (ideally wearing our asexual shirts.) This both humanizes us and makes for good TV, the only question is what do people want to DO. There's bowling, but getting to a bowling alley might be a little tricky. Also rollerskating (difficult if anyone really can't rollerskate.) Any ideas? Soccer (we could probably have sexual v asexual)? Frisbee (it'll be november)? Basketball? Something physical would be good, indoors would probably be better than out. What'r people up for?

(Also rest assured that we'll be doing OTHER fun things on saturday and throughout sunday, so throw out suggestions in general, but we should have an idea of which of them will be filmed.)

Well, I suck at all organized sports and won't play most. Croquet??? I had a croquet pitch at my house one summer with 30-inich wide golf-green grass paths between the wickets, and 10 inch rough everywhere else.

Anyway. I can cook if you want to do a meal thingee. Or y'all can do sports and I can take pictures.....

Whatever.

boa

Uhhhh...we've gotta fill a fair chunk of an hour?? *nervous shakes*

Hate to admit, but I'm also in that famous "always-chosen-last-for-kickball" club -- but will make every effort to be friendly and engaging if it helps The Cause. Nada sports experience, but can do the bowling thing. Isn't Karyn going to have to do scouting/filming permit in locations like that in advance ?

VivreEstEsperer

nooooo sports!!! i suck at sports! lol well I havent played any in so long that ... eek. yeah but Im clueless with soccer or any of those dang team sports. i dont even remember how to play them and i get really nervous and inferiority-complex-ish when I have to. Which I havent had to since gym ended freshman year of high school, but bad memories abound.

Eating in a resteraunt? could work, maybe. uhh... hmm. We could sit around and share experiences of "when we were most aware that we were asexual in a sexual world" or other asexual related stories, that might be good to film. Something physical...well if we had to throw a frisbee or something I think I could do that. But that's the extent of my sport-related skills. Hmm, cant think of anything.

maybe we could go to a mall or something...but I don't really like malls all that much. they're tolerable. gosh, I don't know. I'll try to think of something. Just please dont make it anything resembling team sports! oh yeah cooking would be okay. bowling is okay. I havent rollerskated in YEARS. gosh. I dont think I want my first time to be on film, lol.

The thing I most want to do this weekend is to just talk about experiences and such with fellow asexuals.... I guess if we do that then pretty much anything else is okay with me.

Kate

Maybe they could film us during the discussion we have trying to figure out what we should do while they film us. How postmodernist is that???

boa

I suppose eating ice cream (or some other food item) doesn't count as "frolicking", huh?

But what if you REALLY REALLY liked the food item? Like, skipping around with it 'n shit. Is *that* frolicking?

Bard is on to something, they should show you guys doing the same stuff sexuals do: argue about where to eat, be indecisive about how to spend your day, hey, it'd be great fun to send you all to a video store and try to find a movie all of you want to see: it's impossible to find a movie more than two people want to see. THAT'D show them how normal we are!

Cate

HOLD ON A SEC!!

Let me get this straight.....They want us to..."Frolick"....

........riiiiiight.

So they want us doing fun normal stuff. Hmm....What is the average age group here? I don't want them presenting us like a bunch of "meddling kids". Cause....Frolicking....I think of playing out door games....that involve a lot of running....or just "prancing" in a meadow. And, correct me if i'm wrong, I don't see very many 50 year olds frolicking in meadows. YOUNG PEOPLE frolick...they have the energy...and look good doing it.

Now, (no offence), Could you see "THE BARD"...."frolicking" in a meadow? I can see "THE BARD" walking through a meadow...looking very wise...and taking in the scenery....but i can't exactly picture him "prancing" through a meadow.

So....What can we do? Hell if I know. Wait...how about SOMETHING FUN!

Hmm....I dunno. I can't make it so i guess it's really up to you.

Art Gallery? A scenic hike/view? An amusment park?

BAH!

I just suddenly got this mental picture of the group spinning like Julie Andrews on top of a mountain full of nuns.

Just go super cheesy with it: Have you all walking through a field of daisies or playing Red Rover, Red Rover, then blowing bubbles with your little bubble wands.

Cate

"The hiiiillls are alive / With the sound of --"

*trips on molehill and lands face-down in the crabgrass*

"--Mmmmphhhnnnph!!"

LOL@Bishop! *Helps him up*

Perhaps you sound try the Do Re Mi song instead, less likely to do permanent damage to yourself that way...

Cate

"Oh, if you ain't got the do re mi, folks, you ain't got the do re mi,

Why, you better go back to beautiful Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Georgia, Tennessee.

California is a garden of Eden, a paradise to live in or see;

But believe it or not, you won't find it so hot

If you ain't got the do re mi..."

Whoops, sorry - wrong movie. I'm with BOA, incidentally...arguing on camera about where we're supposed to go next, or whether there's a good movie playing. Just seems like a rough time of year to be shooting that kind of stuff.

Now, (no offence), Could you see "THE BARD"...."frolicking" in a meadow? I can see "THE BARD" walking through a meadow...looking very wise...and taking in the scenery....but i can't exactly picture him "prancing" through a meadow.

No offense taken. You probably could not picture me bicycling wearing nothing but shoes and a helmet either, or skinnydipping at a yacht club in Newport RI in the middle of the summer, but, perhaps, the less said the better. Let's just say the limits on frolicking have more to do with definition than age or wisdom.

Maybe they could film us all getting arrested for chalking.

boa

Just do whatever's random. Hang out and improvise funny scenarios. If I didn't go to school and have a job, I'd definitely come. :(

Frolicking? I don't know. I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this interview thing. :?

You are sure they're going to be presenting asexuality in a positive or at least neutral light, right?

Yeah, but we don't wanna be seen as the nutcases we all know we are, but are trying to keep from tainting the Asexual Image. :D

Asexuals have more fun. That sounds like another chalking slogan.

Asexuals do it without nasty juice-exchange.

Sorry, that one just popped into my mind.

*sits there, observing people frolick*

Nyeh. This frolicking makes me sick. VIKTOR! Call in a nuclear strike! *gets in a helicopter and flies away as a bomb hits, killing a bunch of kindergarteners*

An AVEN trip to naha to visit little ol' Orpheus would make a good documentary. OR did you all already forget about me over here :cry:

Of course we didn't forget about you, uh...who are you again? Oh! Right. Orpheus!

Just kidding! We miss you! (Unless you try punching Wombat again. *cracks knuckles*)

Orpheus tried to punch me in the face?!

Whoa! Neato! But yeah.....Um....I think that a trip to japan would be a bit pricey. Don't get me wrong, I want to go there one of these days.....it's just that i'm still in college....and don't have much funds yet. And I can't just "take off and leave" cause then i'd fail everything this semesester.

So...yeah....I assume things are cool in "naha"....right?

Yeah...what was this post about again...oh yes! Frolicking. *notices pie trying to launch "the bomb"*

I think i'll go now.....

Worthless Poster
An AVEN trip to naha to visit little ol' Orpheus would make a good documentary. OR did you all already forget about me over here :cry:

Orpheus who?

*Frolicking*?! :shock: Seriously???

Simply evil.

...feel like I'd need to wear pigtails and skip!

Cate-

I agree with you. Frolicking totally conjures up an image of Julie Andrews twirling around and singing in the hills.

-Lauren

Ok, so "frolicking" was my term. Just something that would look good on camera, or so help me I'll have to make something up.

Archived