Mention in The Times...

TheSMMG

Spotted this in the Times2 supplement, in a column entitled "thebulletin" inside today's paper (Monday, 3rd April).

The item reads:

"Sexless and proud, the indifferent-to-sex movement is coalescing around a new website dedicated to everything not steamy - asexuality.org. It claims to have 6,000 members worldwide. David Jay, 23, a Californian, founded the support group after detecting his own lack of passion when friends started mentioning sexual attraction. "I had no idea what they were talking about," he says. No there probably won't be an annual orgy."

crazyjerseygirl

aww damn!

the orgys were the only reason i joined!

I guess at this point any mention is a good mention, though it did seem to have that condesending 'come look at the freaks!' mood to it.

Damn it, cant sexual beings talk about sex (or the lack thereof) without being all silly?

TTFN

Renee'

I think that your expectations are too high, concerning the behaviour of the sexual population. Humans really aren't that much different from chimpanzees, and we all know how chimpanzees act...

Hallucigenia

At least they called it an indifferent-to-sex movement instead of a religious thing or an anti-sex thing. They're learning.

You're right crazyjersygirl, the most common reaction of sexual people is to assume we are celibate, disfunctional or even both.

Hopefully, with more visibilty the message will get across that asexuality is something inherent.

Thanks for posting the link, Razust!

Interesting to read that ...apropos the chimp reference, shouldnt we point to our close cousins the bonobos (Pan paniscus, the gracile chimpanzee)?

Ur, to show up just how different *we* are I mean!

Edit addition: I'd be truly fascinated if there is ANY evidence of asexuality among bonobos. This is a primate, & society, driven & regulated by wonderfully promiscuous nothing-sacrosanct sexual activity, most of it female driven. They are *so* different to P. troglydites-

At least they called it an indifferent-to-sex movement instead of a religious thing or an anti-sex thing. They're learning.

Yes whihc is only a good thing.

Thanks for the link Razust.

• 4 weeks later...

It will probably take time for most people to get their heads around. Look at it from their perspective - the concept is totally alien to them.

LostPenguin
Damn it, cant sexual beings talk about sex (or the lack thereof) without being all silly?

Seems rare that they aren't silly when they talk about it. Probably displaces their embarassment/nervousness/etc. Y'know, the way people laugh when they're scared. Joking around about stuff takes the edge off it, makes it less serious, less awkward, blah blah...

...That and things like The View would have people believe that certain groups of sexuals think the idea of not having sex must be a joke in and of itself... :roll:

Archived