Please take a number for adminny help....

Shivers

K, as both Hex and I are semi-away from the site this weekend, (Hex is at a conference, and I'm moving) we figured it'd be best to temp-admin a couple people to help fill in just in case.

Any adminny-related help you might need can be directed to our resident bard and sadist-nut.

*steps down from podium and applauds bard of aven and the evil cashew*

Speech!! Speech!! Speech!!

The Evil Cashew

Bah Sadists thats for whimps

*steps up to the podium*

as your New dictator i promise to oppress you all and make your stay very miserable. I also promise not to break the board.

*steps down*

was that good? *gets smacked in the head by amcan*

ok ok i be good! promise!

no seriously guys. i be here for ya if u have any issues. and i won't break the board.

~Cashew

Ahem.

When in the course of four score and seven ask not what you can I have a dream to be or not the winter of our let them eat I am a jelly doughnut that shall live in infamy will not accept and if nominated I think therefore I made a desert and called it promise them anything but give them the truth they'll just think it's.

boa

i'd think it's a good thing to be able to identify everyone of those speech segments.

*is glad her public school education didn't suck as much as she thought it did*

Ahem.

When in the course of [Declaration of Independence] four score and seven [Gettysdberg address] ask not what you can [JFK...campaign speech?] I have a dream [M L King] to be or not [Hamlet] the winter of our [Richard III] let them eat [Marie Antoinette]I am a jelly doughnut *[JFK] that shall live in infamy [FDR] will not accept and if nominated [LBJ] I think therefore I [Descartes] made a desert and called it [Tacitus] promise them anything but give them [Arpege commercial] the truth they'll just think it's [Harry S Truman].

*As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am reliably (and hopefully correctly) informed the anywhere else in Germany, what JFK said means I am a jelly doughnut, but in the Berlin dialect, it means I am a person from Berlin.

boa

boa, snob

*applauds*

Yes! Good show! Jolly good!

*coughs*

*As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am reliably (and hopefully correctly) informed the anywhere else in Germany, what JFK said means I am a jelly doughnut, but in the Berlin dialect, it means I am a person from Berlin.

boa

When I hear "Berliner," I think of beer.

1berl_sb.jpgger016.gif

:)

boa

Actually, you are almost correct.

"Ich bin ein Berliner" = I am a jelly doughnut. (A "Berliner" is a round pastry, usually glazed, with some kind of fruit preserve in the middle; a 'jelly doughnut' is the closest thing we have over here to that.

"Ich bin Berliner" = I am from Berlin.

If the distinction still seems to be a little fuzzy, imagine someone from Denmark saying, in English, "I am a Danish".

While the Berlin dialect sounds distinct (harder consonants, etc.), "Ich bin ein Berliner" still means "I am a jelly donought."

I thought a "Berliner" (i.e. the jelly-doughnut-like object) had a different name in Berlin itself?

I thought it was a sausage....like a frankfurter....

Hehe, not just native German, but native Berliner. :-) I had not known that Berliner would mean "jelly donut like object" until I was something around 25 and spoke with a guy from Switzerland. We call them "Pfannkuchen" (pancake) in Berlin and they look like that.

Outside Berlin, especially in the West of Germany these object are called Berliners. Since JFK spoke in Berlin this double meaning was not recognized at all, whereas everywhere else in Germany I could imagine a couple of good laughs :)

About sausages we have Wiener (inhabitants of Vienna) and Frankfurter (inhabitants of Frankfurt).

Im in announcements! Yeah! :)

Archived