The Discovery Channel

AVENguy

Wanna know what's cool?

(announcement part of this post at the bottom.)

I had a talk with the woman from the canadian discovery channel, and it went EXTREMELY well. They're looking into doing a half-hour special, and apparently have alot of clinical research (WTF????? see below) on asexuality but no "human angle," which is where we come in. She asked me a series of questions about AVEN, why I started it etc etc and was really excited about the community. It looks like they're not only going to be interviewing me on camera but are going to be flying down to my campus to portray my asexual day-to-day existance.

Here's the announcement part: I told her that some people from this site might be up to getting interviewed, and she sounded really excited at the idea of getting some kind of a panel together (probably at some point this fall, here at Wesleyan in Middletown CT) So if anyone's up for a meet, greet, and national broadcast (esp anyone on the east coast) drop me a line and I'll try and get it organized. If we're really swank we might even get the sudio to cover travel expenses, though that's probably a longshot. Apparently she's been hard up finding asexuals who are comfortable enough with themselves and articulate enough for the camera (seems a few people here fit that description.)

Research: Guess what:

[The Kinsey Institute is] poised to move forward into the next millennium as the foremost institute in the world dedicated to the serious interdisciplinary study of human asexuality.

I thought this was a typo. Turns out it's not. There have been at least two major papers on us, big presentations at conferences, the whole deal. Looks like the sex-research community's interested in force and never bothered to tell us. I'm trying to track down the papers through the Discovery Channel, will post 'em when I've got 'em.

Now doesn't that just make your day a bit brighter?

That's really GREAT news!!! Let us know when the show is on tv. I can't wait to watch it.

bard of aven

Middletown, here I come. You say when, I'll say "here". But, yeah.

And people have written papers based on AVEN website? How kewl and scary is that???

(AG, I don't know if you know this, but when I was a child growing up in connecticut in the 50s and 60s, the State asylum was in Middletown. Telling someone they were going to or belonged in Middletown was a state-wide idiom for "you're crazy.")

boa

VivreEstEsperer

It makes my day a LOT brighter! Wow, that is really cool.

I would love to be interviewed for them and be on that show. Please tell them that. And I could probably get up to Wesleyan relatively easy from school, although it would help if you could somehow get them to pay travel costs. It only costs about $150 to fly roundtrip from Baltimore (where I will most likely be at school) to Bradley Airport in Hartford, but I don't exactly have $150 in spare change lying around. But either way - that would be so great. And if we could get a few people from the board to come, that'd be even better. Ooh, and I have a school break approx. October 15-18, doing it then'd be even better. (But I could probably any day, and just miss a couple days of school.)

I've been dreaming of sound bytes and things to say to them about asexuality that would sound good... I would love to have the chance to educate the public about asexuality! :)

I want to see those studies! You'd think they'd publish them on their website or something? or have em in some fancy journal? do you know what journals the papers were published in? we seriously gotta read them. They should talk to us.

this rocks.

Kate

Strange Little Girl

ill do it!!

i promise i wont bite and or lick anyone this time!!

[jumps up and down excitedly]

I would love to go on the show except for a couple of problems. A) I live in Alberta and B) I don't talk much. :)

But still, this is great news. I never thought a group like The Kinsey Institute would be remotely interested in studying asexuality. It would be interesting to know who they used in their initial studies. I'm curious if they found people that actually identified as asexual or did they study people that identified as straight/gay/bi/other and just had no or very low sexual desire.

I would but... well, my english is kinda slow. Here you may not see it, 'cause I've got the backspace button.... I mean, I'm not that horrible. but you know. I don't know. If they at least covered the cost of the trip, but I guess I'm kinda far away. But it would be so great to meet you guys.

I would but oh wait, I get that far away from the base.

YOu know, 6 months and nothing good has come out of this yet, bastards.

Cate Perfect

That is brilliant! Conn isn't that far from NC, either, let me/us know when/where to be. I'll try to make it.

bout bloody time. :D that's fuckin awesome.

i'd do it, but not only do i live en la punta de el culo de el mono (the tip of the monkey's ass, in case you were looking for a rough translation), but i have school & work... :(

i'd do it in a heart beat, though, if they were interested in asexuality in miami......... :wink:

So right now the potential list is:

BOA

Vivre

Gorax

SLG

I'll see about (maybe?) getting help with airfare. I'll probably be introducing you to the Discovery Channel woman sometime soon via e-mail.

Absolutely FANTASTIC!!! Very exciting and it's the next step to normal-ness. Shine your lights! You have my support (from Vienna!!). Personally, i'd like to be interviewed for a magazine article.

Skiddaloxx

I can't wait to see you guys on tv. You have to record it... hey, maybe we could put it somewhere here?

You'll behave?

With you, VEE, and myself in the same hotel, I don't see "behaving" as part of the trip schedule *LOL*

BOA can be the referee in our ice fight though :D

MaskedBandit

Oh AVENguy, please do not discriminate against my newbie status. I would be thrilled to represent the asexual community. I am an articulate, college graduate. Please send me! hehe

bard of aven
BOA can be the referee in our ice fight though

The last thing I "refereed" was a softball game between the students of the Lycee Chateaubriand and the US Embassy Marine guards in Rome Italy in 1987. And I had to hide out in Siena for a couple of weeks until things cooled down. Forget that.

boa

Now you made me want to go just to be with you guys, I wouldn't even have to be in that interview. Where exactly do you live Avenguy? Maybe I could get there.

NotDisclosed

Well being on another continent nixes that,

talk sure i can do that.. artik .. articu... articulate

ehh nix that too!

But I'd love to see a tape of it eventually.

NotDisclosed

VivreEstEsperer

Omg, that would be cool as hell to meet you all!!!!

I'll answer for avenguy, he lives in middletown ct at least when he'sgoing to wesleyan college :)

which is also right near my grandparents.

oooooooh *excited* i hope that if this really did happen i could get my dad to pay for a plane ticket. that would so suck if this really did happen but i couldnt get there. but anyway. one thing at a time!!!! this is great!

Kate

From linden, NJ To middletown, CT

Directions Distance

1: Start out going Southwest on W 12TH ST towards S STILES ST by turning right. 0.03 miles (0.05 Km)

2: Turn RIGHT onto S STILES ST. 0.11 miles (0.18 Km)

3: Turn RIGHT onto W EDGAR RD. 1.43 miles (2.30 Km)

4: Take I-278 E. 0.11 miles (0.17 Km)

5: Merge onto I-278 E. 0.86 miles (1.39 Km)

6: Take the I-95/N.J. TURNPIKE exit. 1.03 miles (1.65 Km)

7: Merge onto NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE N (Portions toll). 22.16 miles (35.65 Km)

8: NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE N becomes I-95 N (Portions toll). 71.62 miles (115.23 Km)

9: Take the I-91 N exit, exit number 48, on the left towards HARTFORD. 0.35 miles (0.57 Km)

10: Merge onto I-91 N. 26.41 miles (42.49 Km)

11: Take the CT-9 exit, exit number 22N-S, towards NEW BRITAIN/MIDDLETOWN. 0.85 miles (1.37 Km)

12: Merge onto CT-9 S. 4.82 miles (7.76 Km)

13: Turn RIGHT onto WASHINGTON ST. 0.17 miles (0.27 Km)

14: WASHINGTON ST becomes WASHINGTON ST/CT-66. 0.01 miles (0.02 Km)

Total Distance: 129.96 miles

Estimated Time: 2 hours 13 minutes 18 seconds

Maybe I could make it. Of course it would take me at least 4 hours to get there. Assuming I would find it. I know how to get to turnpike, the rest kind of scares me... But I really want to meet you guys.

Strange Little Girl

according to mapquest it would only take 2 hours and 38 minutes to get to middletown. with my father driving it would take... an hour and a half.

we got to niagra falls in five hours. thats like, an 8 hour drive.

and my father will be driving me for the fact that i cant drive out of state until im 18. damn NJ provisional laws...

then again i can con my best friend into driving me... he's twenty...

[evil blachmail plan forming]

:twisted:

I checked mapquest myself for info on how to get to Middletown, CT.

Total Estimated Time: 13 hours, 14 minutes

Total Distance: 868.93 km

And my parents wouldn't drive me. Or let me use the truck o_O If I can't find another way to get there and am feeling brave, I may try the bus (and pray to the powers that be that I get a window seat).

I'm interested in both the discovery show and Kinsey research. Hopefully the show will serve the interests of the asexual community. I'm a social researcher and am especially interested in studying how sexual identity is formed and the social structure of sexuality. Can you point me to the research papers, and do you have contact with any particular researcher at Kinsey?

orderinchaos

Gorax: yeah, and you can only travel on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday. I'm beginning to believe this is actually due to hitherto-unknown religious beliefs of customs officials at two points between Maine and New Brunswick, than anything to do with bus schedules. :P

http://www.smtbus.com

http://www.vermonttransit.com[/url]

Archived