topic help for my school's gsa

quailsareneat

i sure hope this is the right forum!

anyway, i'm the new leader of my school's gay-straight alliance, and i definitely want to have a meeting about asexuality. as a shy in-the-closet ace, it might be a hard topic to discuss in front of a lot of people, but i know of another ace who would be really happy about asexuality being brought up. so, i was wondering what some good topics/points of interest might be to touch on. it won't be a comprehensive course, more just a touch-and-go, take from this what you will, general crash course.

obviously the definition of asexuality is a starting point, aha. would the importance of ace awareness be another good topic? do you think i should touch on the difference between romantic asexuality and aromantic asexuality? what are some other good topics related to asexuality?

thank you to everyone who responds! i will take everything into consideration.

i sure hope this is the right forum!

anyway, i'm the new leader of my school's gay-straight alliance, and i definitely want to have a meeting about asexuality. as a shy in-the-closet ace, it might be a hard topic to discuss in front of a lot of people, but i know of another ace who would be really happy about asexuality being brought up. so, i was wondering what some good topics/points of interest might be to touch on. it won't be a comprehensive course, more just a touch-and-go, take from this what you will, general crash course.

obviously the definition of asexuality is a starting point, aha. would the importance of ace awareness be another good topic? do you think i should touch on the difference between romantic asexuality and aromantic asexuality? what are some other good topics related to asexuality?

thank you to everyone who responds! i will take everything into consideration.

ooh, awesome!

If you want some examples of presentations that people have done in the past, there's a couple examples here (look under other educational resources): http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?/topic/72195-links-and-resources-masterpost/

Off the top of my head, some of the main points you could include are:

-the difference between asexuality and celibacy

-the difference between sexual attraction and romance, and the concept of romantic orientations

-the difference between sexual attraction and sex drive

-the ace spectrum: grey-asexuals and demisexuals

-asexuals and relationships: what kinds they may have, mixed asexual-sexual relationships, queerplatonics, romantic relationships, none at all etc.

-diversity among aces: every asexual person's experience will be different, and things like gender, or sex drive, or relationship needs, etc. will differ widely from person to person

-talking about some of the problems aces face: misconceptions, pathologization, problems with family/friends, problems with doctors, etc.

-and thus, talking about why vis/ed is important: so people know what they are, and that they aren't confused or broken

-debunking some common myths (you're too young, you can't get any, you have a disorder, etc.)

It's also a good idea to allow a fair bit of time for Q and A - this will be new to many people, so they may have questions, and those may lead to some nteresting discussions. You can also seed officers or other people with a few "preset questions" to start conversation in case no one has any, or if people are nervous about asking the first question.

If you have a lot of shy people, you can also pass around notecards and pens to collect questions, then take them in and read them anonymously at the end.

Also, if you want some other discussion topics:

-what are non-sexual types of relationships/pleasures that are sometimes undervalues (i.e. friendships etc)

-asexuality in the media/fiction: ever seen any? what does it look like?

-how asexuality intersects with queerdom/the LGBTQIA+ (shared experiences, similar problems, lots of people who identify as both ace and queer/lgbt+, etc)

-and some other stuff I'll add here if I think of any

I've also done a few presentations at my own university's GSA, and being on the PT means I'm here to help with things like this, so if you have more questions ask away!

ahh thank you so much Cleander! your entire post will be hugely helpful, thank you for including so many topics. i didn't even think of half of those and am a little ashamed of myself. i really hope everything goes well -- we might even take a couple of meetings to discuss it all, because 50 minutes doesn't seem enough to explain everything properly and comprehensively.

thank you again, honestly i cannot say that enough!!

Archived