Typo/language check?

bristrek

Heya all,

So, I have had translations for the word 'asexual' in a few languages, some of whom use gendered words in which case we almost always went with plurals so it wasn't but for some like French we've winged it from the French AVEN website so any help would be awesome. Please let me know if anything needs to be changed. Not everything is completely literal but should fit:

ETA: We're swapping Italian and Spanish around due to translation issues in discussion with speakers of both languages

Phrase One: Not Broken and Not Alone

- Polish "Nie wybrakowany i nie jedyny"

- Welsh "Nid wedi torri, Nid ar ben dy hun"

- Arabic 14757-5388.png

- Italian "Siamo normali, e non sei solo"

Phrase Two: Asexual and Proud

- German "Asexuell - und das ist gut so"

- Chinese 無性戀,我驕傲

- Spanish "Orgullosamente asexual"

- French "Asexuel et fier"

Asexual in as many languages as possible, sometimes plural used where words are gendered in order to be neutral

Arabic (I don't have in an isolated .png pic and comp wont copy paste arabic writing)

Chinese - 無性戀

Croatian - Aseksualci

Danish - Aseksuel

Dutch - Aseksueel

Faroese - Aseksuellir

Finnish - Aseksuaali

German - Asexuell

Hebrew - א-מיניים

Irish - Éighnéasach

Italian - Asessuale

Polish - Aseksualni

Russian - Aсексуалы

Swedish - Asexuell

Turkish- Aseksüel

Vietnamese - Vô tính

So if you, or anybody you know who speaks any of the above languages, could look this over that'd be fantastic and much appreciated.

Nameless123

I'm not so sure about that one. If you really want it to express pride about being asexual - this isn't really it. It actually rather reminds me of something the mayor of Berlin said in regards to being gay.

Asexual and proud would be more along the lines of "Asexuell und stolz darauf".

But really it depends on what exactly you're trying to say.

Trava u doma

I'm not so sure about that one. If you really want it to express pride about being asexual - this isn't really it. It actually rather reminds me of something the mayor of Berlin said in regards to being gay.

Hey, I helped with translation of this one.

What I did was post on the German forum and it was really them who suggested this, rather than "asexuell und stolz darauf". I'm sorry I can't link you to the thread, but I'm typing on my phone. It's not hard to find, though.

And, yes, you're right =) The similarity is on purpose =)

Are you German? ^_^

The Hebrew one would be better as א-מיניים if you ask me. I haven't heard the other term being used.

Good to know, someone suggested it so I put it on here and the alphabet being so foreign makes it harder for me to tell so.... thought I'd put it up here just in case.

Nameless123

Hey, I helped with translation of this one.

What I did was post on the German forum and it was really them who suggested this, rather than "asexuell und stolz darauf". I'm sorry I can't link you to the thread, but I'm typing on my phone. It's not hard to find, though.

And, yes, you're right =) The similarity is on purpose =)

Are you German? ^_^

As I said, it really depends on whether we want a word by word translation or more of a "spirit" of the meaning, so to speak. I believe you that over on the German forum people suggested this, as it's become quite famous because of Berlin's gay mayor.

And yes, I'm German. And I love your avatar! Ну, постривай!

greay as ice

Swedish is ok

*Asexuell och stolt* =Asexual and Proud

Since I saw the saw the thread in question quite recently on the German AVEN, here the link.

The posters in that thread all prefered "Asexuell - und das ist gut so" once it was suggested. Two posters even mentioned that "pride"---in this context meaning a kind of self-love opposing shame---can't be translated with "Stolz" because it just isn't used that way in German.

And basically aggre with everything Heropsychodreamer has said so far. "Asexuell - und das ist gut so" isn't a literal translation, but for me personally it captures the meaning of the English slogan well enough.

The Spanish you were given for the phrase one is very broken.

Phrase one could be:

1) "No estamos rotos, ni solos" (lit. "We are not broken, or alone")

2) "No estáis rotos, ni solos" (lit. "You all aren't broken, or alone", informal, only used in Spain)

3) "No están rotos, ni solos" ("You all are not broken or alone", formal in Spain, neutral elsewhere)

4) "Ni rotos, ni solos" ("neither broken, nor alone")

Number 4 sounds a bit chopped, I'd recommend the third one (unless you are specifically writing for Spain).

Phrase two:

"Asexuales y orgullosos" (plural; singular are mandatorily gendered).

I've given words for asexual in your other thread.

Good luck. Is it for Ace Pride Parades, or something?

I wrote the Spanish translation and I used the framework of 'we are not broken and you are not alone' (informal). I hesitated to use the word 'rotos' for broken, as I asked a few native speakers and they thought 'destrozados' fit better with the figurative rather than the literal form of 'broken'. As ever though, I am not a native speaker, so I'm happy to acknowledge any mistakes. :)

The Hebrew one would be better as א-מיניים if you ask me. I haven't heard the other term being used.

Good to know, someone suggested it so I put it on here and the alphabet being so foreign makes it harder for me to tell so.... thought I'd put it up here just in case.

Totally understandable :) The other term might be correct but I really haven't heard it until now. Better go with safe ;)

I've been rooting around the Hebrew language AVEN and from a Q&A on asexuality and from the google translate-then-put-mouse-over-to-see-original thing I think the א-מיניים is probably the right one (?) but it's kinda hard to tell one word from another because they all look roughly the same to me (I know they aren't but not used to the alphabet).

The Spanish you were given for the phrase one is very broken.

Phrase one could be:

1) "No estamos rotos, ni solos" (lit. "We are not broken, or alone")

2) "No estáis rotos, ni solos" (lit. "You all aren't broken, or alone", informal, only used in Spain)

3) "No están rotos, ni solos" ("You all are not broken or alone", formal in Spain, neutral elsewhere)

4) "Ni rotos, ni solos" ("neither broken, nor alone")

Number 4 sounds a bit chopped, I'd recommend the third one (unless you are specifically writing for Spain).

Phrase two:

"Asexuales y orgullosos" (plural; singular are mandatorily gendered).

I've given words for asexual in your other thread.

Good luck. Is it for Ace Pride Parades, or something?

It's for World Pride, we're having two phrases translated into several languages as part of the 'world' part of it all, and Spanish was chosen as one. I'm hoping that it'd be Spanish that works both in Spain and latin America.

"Neither broken, nor alone" so long as the broken doesn't just mean literally broken into bits or something and also can mean other things in a more figurative way. So, can it?

Trava u doma

@Heropsychodreamer: Cool! And thank you ^_^

@annix: Thank you. I'm glad you agree with the translation =)

Right, so we're swapping Spanish and Italian around, in case anybody wanted to know.

Trava u doma

A Russian friend says "asexual" in Russian is

Aсексуальные

It's plural and a adjective (pronoun?). It agrees with what I found, but any Russian speakers are welcome to correct it ^_^

(I changed the "a" at the beginning to a capital one on a normal keybord, but it looks the same)

Errr, so it's not a noun then? I thought it was cause it needs to be a noun too really as we aren't putting in 'asexual person(s)' but just Asexual(s)

Trava u doma

Oh, you wanted nouns? I was't sure, as it's not obvious with just "asexual". But, it's not a problem, I've got the noun as well. "Asexuals" in Russian is "асексуалы". And in Polish it's "aseksualiści".

Although, while I can't speak for Russian, in Polish it's possible to use adjective as a noun. So I would still keep "aseksualni" for the Polish version; I wouldn't change it. It feels more natural, believe me.

You may be right about Russian, though. Perhaps the noun is indeed better.

Well, ask your friend. It needs to be something that can be used in "I am ________" rather than "she is a ______ woman" if that helps. If it could go as either then fine but...

Trava u doma

Well, you just made me feel completely stupid. I feel like I totally don't understand you, and it's not a nice feeling. Anyway, if you want nouns, it's "aseksualiści" in Polish, and "асексуалы" in Russian.

I first suggested "aseksualni" in Polish, because it felt more natural at first, even though both forms are correct - but it's hard when you don't know the context. (Hmm, does the analogy of "the employed" vs "the employees" make sense?)

Um, the German "Asexuell" isn't a noun either then. But it is still the word to use in a sentence like "I am ______" if you want an adjective describing the subject (e.g. "I am tall").

The singular nouns are gendered, so the plural would be "die Asexuellen" which means "the asexuals" and you can't really ditch the article without it feeling even weirder than it already does.

But like Trava u doma said, it is really hard without context.

Well, so long as it can be used in 'I am a _____' or 'She is ______' in the same way I'd say "I am an American" or "She is American" or something that's fine. I thought that'd have been mostly nouns but if it isn't it doesn't matter so much so long as it's understandable and works for you. Especially if the article can't be ditched.

And sorry if I'm coming off weird guys, had a bit of a weird week.

And Trava, didn't mean to make you feel stupid. Honestly, whichever your Russian friend thinks feels best is fine and if that's the adjective (I'll assume it is for now as that's what you first suggested) I'll go with that.

Ok so we talked on skype, and since in Italian there's no word to translate "broken" without making people think of things and not people, Elis and I proposed "We are normal, and you are not alone" which is the best shot we can give (possibly in Spanish too?). So, if it can be useful:

"Siamo normali, e non sei solo"

Well, so long as it can be used in 'I am a _____' or 'She is ______' in the same way I'd say "I am an American" or "She is American" or something that's fine. I thought that'd have been mostly nouns but if it isn't it doesn't matter so much so long as it's understandable and works for you. Especially if the article can't be ditched.

For 'She is ______', 'I am _______' the word "Asexuell" is correct and feels natural. So I'd say, just keep that one. You can't use it with 'I am a ______' though, that would require the noun.

The thing is, 'I am _____' requires an adjective to follow while 'I am a ______' needs a noun. English is kinda handy in that regard as the nouns and adjectives (at least for asexual and American) look the same. In German (and it seems in Russian and Polish too) you have to tweak the word a little bit depending on whether you use it as an adjective or a noun.

Oh, don't worry. You are doing amazing work ;) :cake: :cake: :cake:

Trava u doma

Hey,

So, I asked my friend, as you suggested, using the "I am ______" example, and you were right. The correct form in Russian is "Aсексуалы".

I'm sorry for the confusion. I wanted to help, but I don't know Russian too much, so I mostly have to rely on intuition, and sometimes it fails. I hope everything's right now, though =)

Nameless123

For 'She is ______', 'I am _______' the word "Asexuell" is correct and feels natural. So I'd say, just keep that one.

I completely agree. I wouldn't usually refer to myself with the noun. That just sounds strange. As if asexual was all I am, not just one trait I have.

I wrote the Spanish translation and I used the framework of 'we are not broken and you are not alone' (informal). I hesitated to use the word 'rotos' for broken, as I asked a few native speakers and they thought 'destrozados' fit better with the figurative rather than the literal form of 'broken'. As ever though, I am not a native speaker, so I'm happy to acknowledge any mistakes. :)

Hmmm... "destrozados" is literally "destroyed", and more akin to "in misery"... I think we are aiming more for something like "malfunctioning", right?

It's for World Pride, we're having two phrases translated into several languages as part of the 'world' part of it all, and Spanish was chosen as one. I'm hoping that it'd be Spanish that works both in Spain and latin America.

"Neither broken, nor alone" so long as the broken doesn't just mean literally broken into bits or something and also can mean other things in a more figurative way. So, can it?

I think it can.

With a caption saying "Asexual Assembly" or something, the meaning should be clear enough.

Ok so we talked on skype, and since in Italian there's no word to translate "broken" without making people think of things and not people, Elis and I proposed "We are normal, and you are not alone" which is the best shot we can give (possibly in Spanish too?). So, if it can be useful:

"Siamo normali, e non sei solo"

Hmmm... that is a good idea for Spanish... I think I'm going to ask help to another Spaniard about which is the better and clearer choice, instead of guessing.

For 'She is ______', 'I am _______' the word "Asexuell" is correct and feels natural. So I'd say, just keep that one. You can't use it with 'I am a ______' though, that would require the noun.

The thing is, 'I am _____' requires an adjective to follow while 'I am a ______' needs a noun. English is kinda handy in that regard as the nouns and adjectives (at least for asexual and American) look the same. In German (and it seems in Russian and Polish too) you have to tweak the word a little bit depending on whether you use it as an adjective or a noun.

Oh, don't worry. You are doing amazing work ;) :cake: :cake: :cake:

Thanks. Not sure why I got this bit to co-ordinate other than my determination it should be multi-lingual, as I'm crap at languages and only speak English which as I'm discovering is one of the weirdest languages around. Though, to be fair, I knew that already just didn't realise how odd.

And good to know! Thanks for putting up with me.

Trava u doma

Actually, yeah, kudos to you bristrek, for taking your time to organize it! =)

And, sorry again for the confusion :blush:

I asked for advise, and I was suggested this:

"Ni somos extraños, ni estamos solos"

(We are neither ???, or alone), extraños can either mean "strange" or "alien/foreigner", but one is most likely to interpret it as "strange".

Now we have even more options than before.

Archived