Bye,bye pap smear & pelvic exam

newgirl

Good news ladies!! Do you HATE having a traditional pap smear , pelvic exam and having your vagina invaded by a stranger? There are two new alternatives to pap smear and pelvic exam for women but some conventional doctors doesn't want you to know because traditional pap smear & pelvic exam is the norm.

1 Cervical Specific Antigen/ CSA blood test( HPV/cervical cancer test) Some doctors are saying this test is more accurate than traditional pap smear.

http://onconix.net/

2. Delphi screen-er (self pap smear kit that screens for different cervical and vaginal infections). This kit can be done at home or in the clinic without the need for a speculum examination

http://www.delphiscreener.com/Home/Paginas/default.aspx

Do you need a stranger(GYN doctor) to invade your vagina to detect bladder infection,HPV, cervical cancer, pelvic infection, ovarian cancer,yeast infection, urinary tract infection? With these 2 new alternative option, I don't think so.

If you hate traditional pap smear and pelvic exam and want an alternative: Do the research first on your options. After the research, I would go to your GYN doctor and say "NO to traditional pap smear & pelvic exam AND say I want my CSA blood test and delphiscreener instead.

Mugen Puchipuchi Hime

I can comprehend that...

I've once regret to willingly get a pap smear years ago and ironically pleaded the doc to not fully continue the exam ('cause it hurt so badly! :( )

I hope these tests apply in the UK. I'm eligible for a smear test but have chosen not to get one so far as I've had the cervical cancer jab and I have never had sex. If these two things are viable options, I'd rather self-test or get a jab than be violated by a doctor in the name of health.

Thanks for pointing these two out!

TheTeaCritter

I've not had any of these done yet but I'd like to never have to go through them. I get regular UTIs but they just did a urine test and gave the antibiotics the first time and now my doctor is well aware that I know what they feel like so I can just call in for the antibiotics.

But if there's a way out of these tests I will def. be taking them.

It's really good news.I've never had these exams before,but I've always been terrified of it.I'm hoping they'll have these new methods here in near future.

I haven't had the misfortune of getting a pap smear yet, but I imagine I would tell the doc "there is a reason I am asexual. Nothing should enter..."

The Pofessional

Ugh, thank God. Apparently I'm supposed to get my first one this year, which is stupid to me and will probably end in (my) tears ;___;

Ugh, thank God. Apparently I'm supposed to get my first one this year, which is stupid to me and will probably end in (my) tears ;___;

What age is one supposed to get the first one?!

The Pofessional

18, if I remember correctly. At least, that's how it is where I live.

Sockstealingnome

There is no specific age. It's just assumed most people are sexually active by that age.

Gho St Ory Qwan

How are you eligible for such tests in normal circumstances? Doctors never mention it to me.

I imagine it'd hurt. Even if it didn't, it turns out I have an aversion to penetration so I'd probably have a panic attack and kick whoever was near my crotch in the face.

Blood tests and injections are very welcome for me. But even the Delphi screen-er would probably leave me in a state, even doing it on my own... >.>

They're not supposed to hurt though, right? Why are they being insensitive? Or is it that some women are unusually sensitive, instead?

Edit

There is no specific age. It's just assumed most people are sexually active by that age.

I'm 20, nearing 21. I guess they don't care to bother with it as I've informed them strongly I'm not interested in sex, before for religious reasons and now I've told them I'm asexual. They usually give a sheepish laugh when they have to ask any sex questions and shake their head as if to say they know it's absurd but it must be done. So I guess that means they accept my sexuality enough.

Yay.

Gho St Ory Qwan

*claps happily* Oh hooray! I've had some pretty traumatic tests done in the past, to the point that my plan for next timewas to ask if I could just insert the speculum myself...

*shudder*

This actually doesn't sound any better to me, I think if I had to insert the things myself I would just not do it O_O I'd like, freeze and just... not do it.

Same. I've tried tampons and moon cups and ended up in a shameful state. Another person actually might be better off, but I'd be way more traumatised I imagine. And I can picture everyones unimpressed faces telling me to have a stiff upper lip. XD

*claps happily* Oh hooray! I've had some pretty traumatic tests done in the past, to the point that my plan for next timewas to ask if I could just insert the speculum myself...

*shudder*

This actually doesn't sound any better to me, I think if I had to insert the things myself I would just not do it O_O I'd like, freeze and just... not do it.

Same. I've tried tampons and moon cups and ended up in a shameful state. Another person actually might be better off, but I'd be way more traumatised I imagine. And I can picture everyones unimpressed faces telling me to have a stiff upper lip. XD

Sort of off topic, but how did you find the moon cup? Easier or harder to put in than a tampon? I've been considering switching from tampons to moon cups but the price is high enough that I'm not sure I want to risk trying it. Even if you didn't manage to get either with, which did you find better/make the most progress with out of the two?

Sorry to make you discuss something so personal on a forum, but it's the first time I've come across someone who has tried both. Doesn't come up much in conversation after all!

So if you aren't sexually active you don't need one?

I've only had one exam, after I had sex a few times, because I complained to a friend it hurt like hell. I only remember the doc saying I had to relax, and just push down as if I was going to the bathroom (something about the same muscle?) but anyway, he eventually did his thing, and gave me some suggestions for loosening up the muscles since that was the problem.

I decided since I didn't care for tampons, penises, fingers, or speculums, nothing else was going up in there!

Never had a doc tell me when I had to have them, how often, what they searched for, or etc. just haven't gotten one since, almost 10 years now.

They will do that to virgins if they're looking for some disease or condition. I'm still a virgin, was then too.

:giggles: sorry birdie, but I gotta ask why the clarification? Is there was a way to regain your virginity? :lol:

The reason they stick their gloved hand up there is to feel the ovaries to see if they're enlarged. That checks for possible ovarian cancer (if they feel something, they will do an ultrasound). That manual exam also checks for rectal cancer. You can develop ovarian cancer and uterine cancer whether you have any sexual activity or not.

It is possible--but not probable--to develop cervical cancer even without having papilloma virus transmitted through sexual activity.

It's really best to have these exams at least every 5 years. Oftener if you're sexually active.

It isn't that doctors don't want you to know about the tests that Newgirl spoke about. It's that they're more expensive and pretty new so they don't have a track record like Paps do. Gyns will tell you that, and they'll also say that manual exams are really good, and you certainly can't do them yourself.

The Pofessional

...ugh, I just allowed myself to think about the "glove exam" and I feel incredibly ill ;___;

...ugh, I just allowed myself to think about the "glove exam" and I feel incredibly ill ;___;

Same. I had a similar image to the people that stick their fists in their mouths. :blink:

CrimsonCupcakes

I can comprehend that...

I've once regret to willingly get a pap smear years ago and ironically pleaded the doc to not fully continue the exam ('cause it hurt so badly! :( )

Those things are made of such evil! I feel for you, my doctor couldn't fully continue on me because I was practically doing a backwards crab walk off the other side of the exam table. My bi-annual exam is coming up, and I think I'll have a talk with my doctor beforehand. :D

The Pofessional

Same. I had a similar image to the people that stick their fists in their mouths. :blink:

I mean, my doctor's a naturopath so she's a bit more "gentle", she's nice and I can trust her (she's the only reason I allowed the nurses to get near me with a needle [blood sample day]). But... eurgh.

I mean, my doctor's a naturopath so she's a bit more "gentle", she's nice and I can trust her (she's the only reason I allowed the nurses to get near me with a needle [blood sample day]). But... eurgh.

Mine's pretty gentle too. I've only seen her once, so yeah...Dr. Breakstone. Oh the irony. XD

Archived