House M.D. - Asexual couple

RandomDent

Arrgh! :evil:

So we're all either lying/in denial, have a medical problem, or mentally twisted.

If the writers really wanted to mess up their relationship, they could have left the woman asexual. :mad:

To those who didn't tune in:

a lady with a bladder infection attracts the attention of House, who tries to prove that she and her husband aren't really asexual. Watson stops him, so House investigates the husband, who turns out to have a tumor causing his lack of libido. Treating it, which is necessary for him to live, but make him sexual. The wife ends up revealing that she lied about her asexuality because she likes sex(Because all asexuals are repulsed :rolleyes: ).

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD.

Words can't describe how disgusted I am right now.

Not only were both asexual partners "debunked," but House calls asexuality a 'seriously troubled world view" and Wilson agrees? The writers ought to be ashamed.

Ugh, I know. I had to get on here as soon as I could. I was really, really hoping that they could at least leave one of them alone, but no, apparently that was too much to ask.

I used to actually follow this show pretty closely. Wilson was one of my favorite characters because of how he would stand up to House, but tonight's episode is a perfect example of why I haven't been any more.

Sigh.

Just once, could there be an asexual person who is not "debunked" or invalidated in media? Or have there been, and I've just missed them?

I'm really, really, really disappointed right now... don't know what else to say.

Someone should send a letter... I'd send a letter, but I'd so mad I can't write anything & stay polite.

And the worst part is, they did their effing research and still made us not a valid orientation.

I agree. When I heard the 'ace' woman in the preview give the 'Celibacy is a choice; Asexuality isn't' line, I took it to mean they'd done their research, and would handle the topic correctly. What a disappointment. :mad:

Actually, without a libido, you wouldn't know who you're sexually attracted to

Well as I understand it, straight/gay/bi people can have periods of decreased sex drive, during which they may still be sexually attracted to people. And of course, there are aces with libidos. It makes little sense to say "you're only ace because you have such and such a condition that inhibits sex drive."

Well the first part was good...with the chick explaining it pretty well and Wilson saying that it was a "valid sexual orientation" (albeit he says he read that somewhere.) (I loled so much when Wilson said "I'm not sure which box to check..." XD lmao) All was good until the last 10 minutes... why did that chick have to be doing that? Ugh... And then House actually disproved the guy...*sighs heavily*

I really want to inform them too, though I don't see how it's going to change anything. I mean, yeah I think they should know that they screwed up the information the gave out, but do you really think they'll make a new episode basically saying "ok yeah, sorry guys, there was some miscommunication so we'll do it over"?

Right now... this topic takes up three pages... I am betting a hundred dollars (yeah, right) that when I turn the computer on tomorrow morning, it will be about 389,452 pages long and then crash the internet...

Queen-Of-Spiders

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD.

Words can't describe how disgusted I am right now.

Not only were both asexual partners "debunked," but House calls asexuality a 'seriously troubled world view" and Wilson agrees? The writers ought to be ashamed.

Ugh, I know. I had to get on here as soon as I could. I was really, really hoping that they could at least leave one of them alone, but no, apparently that was too much to ask.

I used to actually follow this show pretty closely. Wilson was one of my favorite characters because of how he would stand up to House, but tonight's episode is a perfect example of why I haven't been any more.

Sigh.

Just once, could there be an asexual person who is not "debunked" or invalidated in media? Or have there been, and I've just missed them?

I share your frustrations !

I don't watch TV all that often, and hadn't even heard this episode was airing. In an amazing coincidence, I turned on the TV hoping something good would be on, and the first thing I hear is House and Wilson discussing asexuality. I was shocked and excited that such a popular show would be giving us some visibility.

Even now, 20 minutes or so after I finished watching, I still feel like crying. Now that I've done some research online and found out how many people were excited over this episode because of the asexual plot in particular, I'm even more appalled - so many people who were intrigued and hopeful were let down. Every time I hear about asexuality in the media, it's always used as a cheap shock factor and never portrays us positively - or even as a legitimate thing.

Way to go House writers, for contributing to NORMAL people like us feeling isolated even further due to your ignorance.

Well as I understand it, straight/gay/bi people can have periods of decreased sex drive, during which they may still be sexually attracted to people. And of course, there are aces with libidos. It makes little sense to say "you're only ace because you have such and such a condition that inhibits sex drive."

Oh, alright, I've never heard that. See, I am missing the whole sexual package, as it were. I suppose it just made sense because of that. Thank you for the clarification.

Narrow Mullen

I'm mostly worried about people struggling with asexuality, who will now think that there's something wrong with them. I wasn't able to see the show, but it seems that it was not handled well.

I'm mostly worried about people struggling with asexuality, who will now think that there's something wrong with them. I wasn't able to see the show, but it seems that it was not handled well.

This is something I hadn't even considered, but a serious concern. I'm even more offended now. This shit is the equivalent of House spending the episode trying to prove a gay couple are just confused, that there's something wrong with their brains, that they can't actually be happy unless they realize they're straight.

I agree. This is really unfortunate, and while I really hope this is not the case, I also am aware that it more than likely is.

Maybe we should be sending letters to media outlets instead of directly to the producers. o.o

Maybe instead of one or the other, we should send them to both. That way, even if one ignores it, the other might not, if for nothing else, than for all those people who might now be questioning their health.

Maybe we should be sending letters to media outlets instead of directly to the producers. o.o

Maybe instead of one or the other, we should send them to both. That way, even if one ignores it, the other might not, if for nothing else, than for all those people who might now be questioning their health.

We definitely need to be writing to somebody. This could have been a really good thing, and they messed it up badly, and we can't take it lying down. :angry:

If any of you are on Twitter, that might be a good place to start (just, like, tweeting about how the latest House episode was offensive, or something) until someone comes up with specific people to contact.

Actually, that was what I was thinking. If everyone sends one to their local media, and another to the producers...

Queen-Of-Spiders

I am absolutely on board with writing to SOMEONE about this. They need to know how many people they've misrepresented.

Can anyone find any contact emails ? I'm having no luck.

Two comments:

1. Okay, well this is just freakin' great. Now, every young person who is asexual is going to start this, "OMG, I have a brain tumor!!!" Fox TV is stoopid!

And,

2. That episode was *#$@&*$ !!! And it was &%$#@ !!! And furthermore, it was @#$%& !!!

And I'm not being funny, either, because it really was @#$%& !!!

Who wrote that episode? A guy with a pile of dog crap in his pituitary?

Right now... this topic takes up three pages... I am betting a hundred dollars (yeah, right) that when I turn the computer on tomorrow morning, it will be about 389,452 pages long and then crash the internet...

:lol: Perfect. Just perfect. If you've seen the episode, or read a good synopsis, you know why.

EDIT: On a serious note, let's use this thread to share ideas about whom to write to, and their addresses. If people who write letters wouldn't mind, post the text of your letter in this thread (probably in a spoiler to save space) or on your profile, or through a link, or something, so that others who may have trouble articulating their viewpoint can adapt your letter to send. If it works to provide a form letter for individuals to adapt and send to their legislators, it should work for this, no?

Okay, so I made a post about this immediately after the episode over in Asexual Musing and Ranting. Since this is already here, I'm adding it to this one.

OP Rilig

Posted Today, 09:07 PM

Yeah, that episode that just air really angered me. I was so excited thinking, "Oh man! Asexuality may be positively portrayed on national TV!" Nope. It was a tumor interfering with his pituitary gland, and the woman 'happily' married to him was a liar. Good job, Fox.

#2 PolkaRoutine

Posted Today, 09:17 PM

I had so much hope based on the first half of the episode! Even though it didn't end with the rah-rah asexuality is a valid orientation note that I was hoping for, I imagine that for some people it will open up dialogue and there still was some good information and respectful responses by Wilson.

I'm still feeling mixed about it, so I'm curious to hear what others think.

#3 Faelights

Posted Today, 09:18 PM

Just so you know, there's a thread about this already here.

#4 thylacine

Posted Today, 09:20 PM

*&%$#@ !!!

"War! What is it good for? Absolutely nuthin!"

Asexy A-postle

Posted Today, 09:23 PM

I don't want to stifle any disagreements or put thoughts and/or emotions into anyone's heads, but I think we're going to nearly unanimously agree that that episode portrayed asexuals as either sick or lying--given that one "asexual" character was sick, and the other one was lying. I didn't not find any way that the intended message could possibly have been that sometimes people really are asexual, just not in this particular case. I think we need to be deciding whether and how we should address this travesty against the asexual orientation instead of getting too far off into everything that was wrong with the episode. It's time to call on the Project Team.

That's why I'm posting in this thread instead of the one that discussed the episode when it was still upcoming. I know the other thread has only negative reactions, but if anyone disagrees and finds the episode acceptable, your voice NEEDS to be heard because it seems that you'll be one of very few. And we must consider all angles to come up with the strongest response possible, or have it pointed out to us that a response would be inappropriate, if the case may be.

#6 Rilig

Posted Today, 09:28 PM

What's the Project Team?

ETA: Oh wait. *googlegoogle* Can we do that? Do they do that sort of thing?

Still no luck finding contact addresses, but here are the Twitter accounts of the episode's writer, and director/executive producer.

Oh, perfect. ^_^

EDIT: Erm... I have a Twitter account from a while ago, but I don't know how to use it... someone explain?

You type @[name][space][message] Total can't exceed 140 characters. It will tell you how many you have left.

Example: @cleuchtturm How are you doing?

Silly example, but tada.

I'm in the middle of reading through all the posts but I need to take a break and rant a little. Because that episode...UGH.

(Spoilers ahoy!)

Both the issues it dealt with were very close to me, and I didn't like how they handled either of them, but since I absolutely hate what they did with the Ace relationship, that's what I'm focusing on. Because come ON.

Finally some visibility. Finally! I was so excited because I'm just coming to terms with my own asexuality, and I was really eager to have something to relate to in the mainstream media, especially after the whole Moffat fiasco.

And then it all went to seed. It was so promising! It could've been so interesting! I was really, really hoping that either he would be heterosexual or she would, but the other would still be Ace. Instead, both are repressed heterosexuals! How nice. How novel.

Boring.

Frustrating, actually. I was so, SO hoping that they would revisit the couple after the treatment started working and that the husband would still be asexual (asexuality in men: an orientation, NOT the inability to have an erection. The two are not related. Thanks for nothing, House writers). And there could've been real conflict there with the wife's secret revealed and them having to deal with something they both thought wouldn't be an issue.

But no. Instead it's an open-and-shut case of asexuality only exists because of a brain tumor.

Thank you, House.

/rant

Still no luck finding contact addresses, but here are the Twitter accounts of the episode's writer, and director/executive producer.

Oh, perfect. ^_^

EDIT: Erm... I have a Twitter account from a while ago, but I don't know how to use it... someone explain?

You type @[name][space][message] Total can't exceed 140 characters. It will tell you how many you have left.

We should probably have a dedicated hash tag or something- it'll make it more collectively visible.

#7 samepage1

Posted Today, 09:43 PM

Rilig, on 23 January 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

ETA: Oh wait. *googlegoogle* Can we do that? Do they do that sort of thing?

Okay, wait. Apparently the project team doesn't do that. Is there any part of AVEN or outside organization that does?