House M.D. - Asexual couple

RandomDent

I'm not sure what to say... :unsure: Suggestions, anyone?

I sent her a direct message asking her to explain why they went the direction they did. Waiting for a reply.

Queen-Of-Spiders

AceofHearts: Barbara Bennett: Although he may have discovered that they were not actually asexual, the episode did nothing to point out that asexuality is still a legitimate thing and simply did not describe the couple in question. All it did was ridicule asexuals.

10:22

Barbara Barnett: I understand that. Wilson was content to leave it at that. House believed that there was something else going on. He was right, but Wilson felt House should have left things alone.

10:23

Barbara Barnett: I think it's time to end the LiveChat Event. Thanks everyone. Hope you had a good time.

Augh! She closed it before I could say this: He didn't believe something was wrong, he just couldn't accept/understand it, so he just had to disprove it.

"AceofHearts" here - I wanted to discuss that point more too. I wish you could have gotten your word in, but I think we at least made some impact, even if it was small.

I sent her a direct message asking her to explain why they went the direction they did. Waiting for a reply.

Don't think you'll get a reply, but if you did, that would be awesome!

"AceofHearts" here - I wanted to discuss that point more too. I wish you could have gotten your word in, but I think we at least made some impact, even if it was small.

At least some non-ace person realized we were upset about it.

I got a tweet from her saying that she wanted to DM to explain. You can't send one unless you follow someone, and she followed me. Just realized I have to follow her too...off to do that!

Lady Heartilly

I haven't seen the episode, but I love writing letters, so I'll give it a go!

The members of the asexual community were eagerly awaiting this episode with great anticipation. Since we only make up about 1% of the world's population, we have a great deal of difficulty getting our voice heard. Exposure on national television would have been an excellent step in the right direction for us if asexuality had been presented as a legitimate orientation. When the orientation was dismissed as a tumor for one person and a lie for another, we feel that we were betrayed in a very negative light. Since there are so few of us, it is difficult to defend these accusations to the proper channels. Now we are all worried that people will have the wrong idea of us, and we are already very misunderstood as it is. In addition to that, we are worried that asexuals who were not aware of the orientation will now think they are tainted after watching tonight's episode. We would like an opportunity to defend ourselves as legitimate, healthy, honest people, but we do not know how after so many people have already seen this episode and got the wrong idea.

Of course, you may need to send each sentence as a separate tweet, but it should be worth it. :lol: Then again, that is just a suggestion. You don't have to send any of it if you don't want to!

I got a tweet from her saying that she wanted to DM to explain. You can't send one unless you follow someone, and she followed me. Just realized I have to follow her too...off to do that!

Oo! Excited!

sinisterporpoise

I think this may be a deeper problem. Glee did an episode that called people who didn't want sex naive last year.

Although there is still a small opening for the woman to still be Asexual and have just tried sex and liked it, I doubt the writers had this in mind. I do not think this episode is going to make people to research Asexuality. I fear too many people will believe this episode offers the only possible solution. House's writers were irresponsible by not letting one partner remain Asexual. Unless they intend to bring the couple back, this was worst possible ending to the side plot.

The Great WTF

Good luck!

Good luck!

By the looks of it, she'll be talking with two other people.

The members of the asexual community were eagerly awaiting this episode with great anticipation. Since we only make up about 1% of the world's population, we have a great deal of difficulty getting our voice heard. Exposure on national television would have been an excellent step in the right direction for us if asexuality had been presented as a legitimate orientation. When the orientation was dismissed as a tumor for one person and a liar for another, we feel that we were betrayed in a very negative light. Since there are so few of us, it is difficult to defend these accusations to the proper channels. Now we are all worried that people will have the wrong idea of us, and we are already very misunderstood as it is. In addition to that, we are worried that asexuals who were not aware of the orientation will now think they are tainted after watching tonight's episode. We would like an opportunity to defend ourselves as legitimate, healthy, honest people, but we do not know how after so many people have already seen this episode and gotten the wrong idea.

Of course, you may need to send each sentence as a separate tweet, but it should be worth it. :lol: Then again, that is just a suggestion. You don't have to send any of it if you don't want to!

Yeah, might be a bit long for a tweet. XD Thanks for giving me some talking points, though!

The members of the asexual community were eagerly awaiting this episode with great anticipation. Since we only make up about 1% of the world's population, we have a great deal of difficulty getting our voice heard. Exposure on national television would have been an excellent step in the right direction for us if asexuality had been presented as a legitimate orientation. When the orientation was dismissed as a tumor for one person and a liar for another, we feel that we were betrayed in a very negative light. Since there are so few of us, it is difficult to defend these accusations to the proper channels. Now we are all worried that people will have the wrong idea of us, and we are already very misunderstood as it is. In addition to that, we are worried that asexuals who were not aware of the orientation will now think they are tainted after watching tonight's episode. We would like an opportunity to defend ourselves as legitimate, healthy, honest people, but we do not know how after so many people have already seen this episode and gotten the wrong idea.

Yeah, might be a bit long for a tweet. XD Thanks for giving me some talking points, though!

Have you talked to her yet? I'm still waiting.

Queen-Of-Spiders

Good luck ! As much as I didn't care for the episode, I am still impressed the writer is willing to discuss it with viewers. Hopefully some good can still come out of this.

JJButterworth

I did not see the program but I can not say that I am surprised by the outcome of said program. I think that we are looking for validation in the wrong places here. To expect a prime-time show to do anything other then reflect the popular opinion of asexuality is asking alot. Look how homosexuality is and was portrayed by mainstream entertainment programing. I for one place my faith in information and news programing to show the world what asexuality is really is. Not only do they give an accurate view of asexuality but they also place a human face on asexuality, something not even the best fictional portrayal of asexuality can do.

Just give the world time. Remember, we asking the world to except the existing of people that do not want anything do with the most of the world thinks makes people human.

I did not see the program but I can not say that I am surprised by the outcome of said program. I think that we are looking for validation in the wrong places here. To expect a prime-time show to do anything other then reflect the popular opinion of asexuality is asking alot. Look how homosexuality is and was portrayed by mainstream entertainment programing. I for one place my faith in information and news programing to show the world what asexuality is really is. Not only do they give an accurate view of asexuality but they also place a human face on asexuality, something not even the best fictional portrayal of asexuality can do.

Just give the world time. Remember, we asking the world to except the existing of people that do not want anything do with the most of the world thinks makes people human.

Oh, we're giving the world time...

But I don't think it would hurt to give the world a few nudges in the right direction.

IMO, if we don't fix it now, it won't get any better. But, that's just my opinion.

Still writing my tweet.

IMO, if we don't fix it now, it won't get any better. But, that's just my opinion.

I agree.

Still writing my tweet.

I agree.

Should we post her explanation here?

The Pofessional

I'm looking back at the earlier posts, and how excited everyone was for this episode. That's what stings, more than anything else :(

I'm reading back in the live chat log, and so far I've gotten these (edited only to the comments pertaining to the asexuality part of the show):

Guest: Why was Wilson so interested in the patient's asexuality?

Kath Lingenfelter: I think the interest in asexuality was 1) it's fairly uncommon and 2) there was something in the back of his mind that just didn't sit right... which is why he mentioned it to House (subconsciously, he was asking him to do the 'dirty work' and disprove it)

Guest: Wilson also likened that changing the husband's asexuality was like telling a gay person that they were really really straight...is this indicative of anything?

Kath Lingenfelter: It was difficult treading the line with the asexuality, because I didn't want to discredit it. I have respect for people who are oriented that way. However, it IS a medical mystery show, and we needed a mystery to solve.

Ladybelle Fiske: I do know a few people who are asexual. At first it seemed odd to me, but later realized it is just another way-of-relating.

Comment From crazymadjo

It seemed pretty discredited to me by the end of this episode to me.

Ladybelle Fiske: The scene where they smoke the cigars is very Holmes/Watson...

HouseDailyDose: Funny because frequently Sherlock is references as being asexual. :)

I agree that people need time to accept something new, but passively watching as incorrect information is distributed isn't helpful. The episode started off so promising, describing how asexuality is different from celibacy, portraying it as an actual orientation that needs a checkbox, Wilson's comments after the test results about how this was akin to telling a homosexual that they were actually heterosexual... Somehow it feels worse that it ended with it being a medical problem and one of them lying. Almost as if the orientation was actually discredited/disproven rather than merely written off as not existing.

She just tweeted:

It was the case for this specific couple. Established asexuality as a legitimate orientation as soon as I could. Sorry if I offended.

Can somebody tell her that a lot of people already refuse to see it as an orientation & this episode just did a lot of hurt to its validity. Also that disinterest in sex is not the same as being asexual, which is not being sexually attracted to anyone. Most asexuals are disinterested in sex because of it, like how someone who is gay would probably not enjoy sex with someone who is the opposite sex, but some asexuals can still like sex despite not being sexually attracted to their partner.

Please do ! I'm interested in what she has to say.

I'll post my conversation when we are done.

JJButterworth

Just give the world time. Remember, we asking the world to except the existence of people that do not want anything do with the most of the world thinks makes people human.

I just belive that acceptance from the the world at large comes before any accurate protrayal in a show like House.

The members of the asexual community were eagerly awaiting this episode with great anticipation. Since we only make up about 1% of the world's population, we have a great deal of difficulty getting our voice heard. Exposure on national television would have been an excellent step in the right direction for us if asexuality had been presented as a legitimate orientation. When the orientation was dismissed as a tumor for one person and a lie for another, we feel that we were betrayed in a very negative light. Since there are so few of us, it is difficult to defend these accusations to the proper channels. Now we are all worried that people will have the wrong idea of us, and we are already very misunderstood as it is. In addition to that, we are worried that asexuals who were not aware of the orientation will now think they are tainted after watching tonight's episode. We would like an opportunity to defend ourselves as legitimate, healthy, honest people, but we do not know how after so many people have already seen this episode and got the wrong idea.

would you mind if I posted this to various forums?

Still writing my tweet.

I agree.

I'm certainly planning on it!

Just give the world time. Remember, we asking the world to except the existence of people that do not want anything do with the most of the world thinks makes people human.

I just belive that acceptance from the the world at large comes before any accurate protrayal in a show like House.

Hmm. Valid point.

Here is her explanation to me:

Her:

I am trying to communicate with several of the people of the asexual community who were displeased, so forgive me if I repeat myself. I did a lot of research on asexuality for the episode. My original intent was to introduce it and legitimize it, because I was struck by the response most of you experience, which is similar to the prejudice the homosexual community has received. People hear you're asexual and they immediately think, "What's wrong with you, how do I fix you?" I wanted to write against that. Unfortunately, we are a medical mystery show. Time & again, my notes came back that House needed to solve a mystery and not be wrong. So in THIS CASE, with THESE patients, it was a tumor near the pituitary. But I hoped I could (now it seems unsuccessfully) introduce asexuality to the general public and get them asking questions. All they need to do is one google search and they can see for themselves it's a real community of great people. Originally, part of my dialog included thoughts about whether as a species we've grown past sex. Any time we tackle a subject, we risk the possibility of not doing it justice. I apologize that you feel I did you a disservice. It was not my intent.

Me:

I understand perfectly. My biggest gripe was the woman admitting she lied. Lack of sexual desire can be medical, as you are aware, but I .and many others feel that the woman lying basically said that asexuality isn't real. Unfortunately the general public isn't a very inquisitive bunch and most likely won't put much more thought into it, and just trust that the show told the truth. I appreciate your trying to give us positive visibility, but as you have noted, didn't go too well. Perhaps you could try again? Weave it in somewhere?

Her:

Asexuality is a new topic for me and definitely one I find fascinating. It is a subject I would like to continue to explore here or ..on future shows I write for. I think it speaks to where humans are now and where we are going. I will do my best in the future to do it justice. Thank you for feedback and please share any and all thoughts.

Me:

I'm sure the others you are conversing with have shared the AVEN site: http://t.co/Jun2h9p Feel free to ask me any questions that aren't answered by the site. I am sure the others will answer your questions as well. That's all I have to say, really. Have a good night :)

Ok, if anyone uses Twitter, they know how long that took to copy and paste...

Hmm. Valid point.

Oh, yeah, totally, I agree. I've never actually watched House before, so I didn't know what to expect, so I didn't have any expectations, though I was hopeful. If that makes sense.

But honestly, no matter which way it turned out (i.e. if asexuality was portrayed positively or neutrally or negatively), I think we should give feedback about it.

EDIT: Regarding the writer's explanation... the problem is, she had TWO "asexual" people to work with. Why did she have to invalidate both?

Fuuuuck I need to watch this episode but I'm in Canada. *headdesk*