House M.D. - Asexual couple

RandomDent

Upcoming episode clip:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/01/house-episode-809-better-half-sneak.html

For those who can't/won't watch - Wilson has a patient with a common bladder infection who just so happens to be asexual with an asexual husband.

Wilson sees it as a valid orientation and of course House wants to find a 'medical cause'.

Now first off, let's not be automatically horrified. House's character is that he's a bit of a tool, and wants to find medical reasons for EVERYTHING - from your sexuality to your taste in books. Let's not take it as a direct attack; it's his number one trait.

The bigger question is, how will the writers handle it, and what will the reactions of the viewers be.

BRB - super excited and terrified at the same time :lol:

The Great WTF

Haven't watched House in forever but now I think I might actually tune in. I hope the writers err more towards Wilson's perspective but they are overfond of giving medical reasons for everything. Granted, they also seem to be fond of leaving certain things ambiguous (at least, they were in earlier seasons.)

I saw a preview of this and I was like "I never watch house but I need to watch this." So I think I will. >.>

.diva plavalaguna.

That actually sounds really boring, probably because I figure House will come up with all kinds of ideas and none of them will be right. o__O It's been a long time since I actually stayed current with the show, though.

Alanna's Armor

Do you know when the full episode is playing?

And hopefully, this'll be one of those episodes that leaves House pissed that he didn't solve his little "riddle"

Asexuality is actually lupus

You definitely made me laugh. :lol:

I used to watch House, though I haven't seen it for a while. I need to see this episode. I really hope that he is completely unable to find a "valid" cause... This could be a very bad way to bring attention to asexuality.

I used to watch House, though I haven't seen it for a while. I need to see this episode. I really hope that he is completely unable to find a "valid" cause... This could be a very bad way to bring attention to asexuality.

Agreed. It would be very bad if House finds a cause for this "asexuality" and millions of people watching get the wrong idea.

Holy, I've never watched House, but this makes me excited. I hope they treat the subject properly. ^_^ I can't wait to be able to tell people I identify as asexual, and have them say, "Oh right, I've heard about that before!" (So far, this has only happened to me twice. =/)

EDIT: I just watched the clip, and GAAAAAH I'M SO EXCITED OMGADFLASD.FLBA/DB/ASBDF/BDSF!!!!!!

...Anyway...

Agreed. It would be very bad if House finds a cause for this "asexuality" and millions of people watching get the wrong idea.

If it is going to get people thinking asexuality is something that can be "cured", or anything else that is false, I think we have a pretty cool PT to set them straight. :)

Very cool. I'm curious about how this will all play out. I've only perhaps seen two or three episodes of House, but I may want to add this to the list...

Do you know when the full episode is playing?

LMGTFY :P

On the 23rd of January in the US. Other countries? Probably 2020.

http://house.wikia.com/wiki/Better_Half

It's a side story from the looks of it. So hopefully it will end in a House=Stupid, Wilson=Awesome scene, as a lot of them do.

DancingThroughTheShadows

I think for once I'll make an exception and watch this episode. Fingers crossed that they don't come up with something along the lines of "asexuality can be cured" or anything else that will give the public bad and wrong ideas about asexuality. If they don't then it'll be an ace episode with some positive visibility for asexuals.

I'm kind of hoping that if the writers did enough research to know about asexuality as more than celibacy, then they'll have seen that it's not a specific problem with a cure and that will be shown.

It would be interesting if one of them did have an actual problem affecting sexuality & the other was actually ace.

It would be interesting if one of them did have an actual problem affecting sexuality & the other was actually ace.

That would be sorta interesting... hmm...

ARGH *rolls around* I want to see this NAO.

(Also, Jillianimal has 1234 posts right now. ^_^)

This makes me nervous, because I love House, and if they do this right it would be incredible awesome, but if House does come up with some kind of a reason and "cures" the asexuals, I'm going to be incredibly pissed off at one of my favourite shows. I'll be watching it online as soon as it's available, to find out one way or another.

That's a win/win situation. On the one hand you get good publicity for asexuality, on the other you show just how important it is to analyze yourself before you start living a lifestyle that might not be suited to you. Plus it covers both bases, we won't get mad at the show for showing us in a bad light, and people who have problems with asexuality (like thinking it is baloney) will have enough evidence to feel validated in their own beliefs.

Either way I'm excited for this. I haven't watched House in a long time, but I want to watch this episode. If it is good it might be a nice way to ease into telling friends and family about myself. I could be like "I watched this great episode of House the other day" and go from there.

Oh cool, I never would've noticed that. Thanks for poin...aw, crap, I ruined it D=

Lady Heartilly

I am so excited about this!

Actually, it's possible that I may have had something to do with it . .

Last fall, I sent an email to the feedback page on CBS's website saying that I'm a fan of The Big Bang Theory, and it would be really awesome if they could use the word "asexual" to describe Sheldon on the show at some point in order to spread visibility. I gave some detailed information about asexuality and said that the community would really love to hear it mentioned on national television. While House is not The Big Bang Theory, it is still on CBS, and a lot of things mentioned in this preview reminds me of things I wrote in my email. For instance, I believe I did refer to it as a "valid sexual orientation," and that it's "not like a plant; that would be silly!" It would be so awesome if the CBS execs decided to put this in House because of my email! I have no idea if it had any effect on it or not, but there is certainly a possibility . . .

Either way, it's really great to hear it referred to as a valid sexual orientation on a popular TV show!

Oh cool, I never would've noticed that. Thanks for poin...aw, crap, I ruined it D=

Hahahaha XD

I am so excited about this!

Actually, it's possible that I may have had something to do with it . .

Last fall, I sent an email to the feedback page on CBS's website saying that I'm a fan of The Big Bang Theory, and it would be really awesome if they could use the word "asexual" to describe Sheldon on the show at some point in order to spread visibility. I gave some detailed information about asexuality and said that the community would really love to hear it mentioned on national television. While House is not The Big Bang Theory, it is still on CBS, and a lot of things mentioned in this preview reminds me of things I wrote in my email. For instance, I believe I did refer to it as a "valid sexual orientation," and that it's "not like a plant; that would be silly!" It would be so awesome if the CBS execs decided to put this in House because of my email! I have no idea if it had any effect on it or not, but there is certainly a possibility . . .

Either way, it's really great to hear it referred to as a valid sexual orientation on a popular TV show!

Ooooo, that would be awesome!! Maybe they'll have you in their credits!!! :cake:

*flails* Oh, I hope they do this right. My mom and I both watch House religiously. I came out to her about a year ago and she didn't believe me. If this is done right... *flails more* I'm excited. At least it might be another opportunity for me to bring the topic back up (we haven't really talked about it since, because she shoots down everything I say when I try to talk to her about it)

*~Mango~Blaze~*

I've never watched house before but this topic is enough reason for me to start ^_^ plus it means knowlege of asexuality will finally be more avaliable to the general public

Oooh! I look forward to it.

I watch every episode of House. In the US, you can watch it for free online, 8 days after the episode airs.

One of the things I like about House is how it tackles its topics. Usually, every character sees the issue from a different angle. By the end of the show, no perspective is shown to be the "right" perspective--they all have their good points and bad points.

reverse_thrust

I can see this playing out as one having a medical reason for their lack of interest and the other not... House, destroyer of relationships! Or just failing to come up with anything, in which case everything is hunky-dory.

I kind of regret getting rid of my cable now. Oh well.

Lady Heartilly

Oh, is it? The preview video had the CBS logo in the corner, so I assumed that was the channel. I don't actually have cable. :lol:

I used to watch every rerun everynight. Once he went to the loony bin, I stopped. I think I will watch on the website...my TV is broken.