Asexuality Piece for UK Women's Magazine

TheSMMG

Daisy Greenwell is a writer/researcher originally intending a piece on asexuality for a national UK newspaper but now has interest from a UK women's magazine.

She now needs help from a younger female asexual:

One of Britain's best respected women's magazines is hoping to publish an

intelligent and balanced exploration of asexuality. Lots of our readers have

never even heard of asexuality, and so we'd like to raise awareness. For the

piece to run, we really need an asexual girl to be photographed for the

piece. You'll get your own professional photo shoot and it won't be scary at

all!

If you think you might be up for it but want to ask more, please email

daisygreenwell@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you

Fancy being part of AVEN's Media Team?

PM me (if based in the UK) or AVENguy.

Level of participation is entirely up to you and there's advice and a downloadable guide available.

Oooo, neat. Shall e-mail her then cause I'm willing to do background stuff but not so much 'name and face' stuff (and I'm not the best ambassador for that sort of thing anyway).

it would help some i suppose if we knew which magazine this article may appear in so we could see if it's the kinda magazine people would want to work with

and did this request go through the pt?

She says Grazia in her e-mail response. People have responded to her saying they're willing to talk to her just don't want their photo taken which, ah, is a bit of a problem.

Figured I'd let tumblr know to increase odds of them getting a woman willing to do that.

Guest member31022

Saw this via tumblr, and have replied saying I'm willing (though since I've already done a few UK visibility projects recently, it'd be nice to get someone else too :D )

never odd or even

er... why do they need their photo taken??

wouldnt that stereotype aces ??

what is the point of photographing them? is it to say, look we got one?? authenticity?

and dont magazines try to make their photographic subjects/models sexy etc? would they try do the opposite here??

Guest member31022

er... why do they need their photo taken??

what is the point of photographing them? is it to say, look we got one?? authenticity?

and dont magazines try to make their photographic subjects/models sexy etc? would they try do the opposite here??

I think it's because in a magazine (especially one like Grazia) an article with no pictures is dull and will get ignored. You need photos in order to catch attention. I know I would definately skip over an article that was all text in a magazine like that.

As for stereotyping, I'd hope they'd perhaps get more than one of us, but if not, I don't think it would create a stereotype - if I saw an article with a photo of one person, I wouldn't assume all people like that were the same. There's the same problem without photos, to be honest - any interview has the same potential as a photo to create a stereotype.

Magazines vary on whether they want the person in question to look sexy or not, and I doubt they'll try either way here (also, if I did end up doing it, they wouldn't be able to make me wear anything I didn't want to, and I'm sure it's the same for anyone who'd volunteer.)

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I don't want to be 'the one photographed' cause, well, I already look like one of the more annoying stereotypes and I don't like reinforcing that. Don't mind being a part of a crowd (thus why I don't mind being in pictures of us at Pride that are published) but alone, nah.

Also, not sure I'd want to be the visual focus anyway.

Guest member31022

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I don't want to be 'the one photographed' cause, well, I already look like one of the more annoying stereotypes and I don't like reinforcing that. Don't mind being a part of a crowd (thus why I don't mind being in pictures of us at Pride that are published) but alone, nah.

I currently have rainbow hair. If I do this, might just dye it back to blue for the week so it's not TOO much :P

sinisterporpoise

While I don't mean to sound the alarm, there is reason to be suspicious here, but I don't know if it's Miss Greenwell or a fault with the person who posted it. As a journalist, she should indicate which magazine she is representing when making such a request.

(There's nothing illegal about her not doing so, before anyone gets confused.)

Edit: Sorry, I just saw the name of the magazine.

Thanks for the responses and offers to help so far, people!

and did this request go through the pt?

That I don't know but the original request was forwarded to me as the contact for the UK Media Team by AVENguy himself.

The article was originally intended for Times 2 until it was realised that they featured an article about asexuality some 10 months ago (complete with a nice pic of me for people to throw darts at).

I don't see why.

More likely to show that we're not weirdos/freaks.

This also helps to emphasise the importance of a wider variety of us getting involved with the media.

I don't think you look like an annoying stereotype at all, Bristrek

I currently have rainbow hair. If I do this, might just dye it back to blue for the week so it's not TOO much :P

Just be yourself, rainbow hair and all.

While I don't mean to sound the alarm, there is reason to be suspicious here, but I don't know if it's Miss Greenwell or a fault with the person who posted it. As a journalist, she should indicate which magazine she is representing when making such a request.

(There's nothing illegal about her not doing so, before anyone gets confused.)

Edit: Sorry, I just saw the name of the magazine.

Sometimes journalists don't want to reveal who they're writing for in the public domain for commercial reasons - rival magazines might get the jump on them on something topical/of interest, for instance.

sinisterporpoise

It's actually an ethical point here, not a commercial one. Unless a journalist can get the information in no other way, they are supposed to reveal who they represent. But in this case, I just didn't see the name of the magazine in the post. If it's a freelancer, which might be the case here, this may not always be possible.

I have spoken to Daisy and I know the name of the magazine she is writing for. I can't find anything objectionable about this request at present.

Apologies for the lateness in replying: I've been on LoA for the last day.

-michaeld (AVEN PT)

Too bad its for the UK only. I am extremely average looking and would make for a pretty neutral picture that could mean anything or nothing. :ph34r:

Is she asking purely for a model to be photographed? Or does she require someone to be interviewed aswell as photographed?

Not sure I'd qualify for the age limit, but it looks very interesting! I haven't seen the Tumblr post but it would be nice to signal boost.

(Seems like one of the better 'calls for asexual women for magazine piece' requests, anyway.)

Ive had an interview and 3 page report for the German Grazia a couple of weeks ago and must say, it was a pleasant experience. Very upbeat tone of the report, very professional styling and photo shooting and a nice framework to go into, too. And I'm more than average myself. In everything. ;)

Enjoy the interview.

It's actually an ethical point here, not a commercial one. Unless a journalist can get the information in no other way, they are supposed to reveal who they represent. But in this case, I just didn't see the name of the magazine in the post. If it's a freelancer, which might be the case here, this may not always be possible.

In this instance, it's just commercial since anyone can find out by PM-ing me or contacting Daisy directly whereas the forum is public domain.

Also, I wouldn't post any requests from journalists/researchers who refused to reveal who they represented or were intending to pitch their article to when, as you say, it would, indeed, become an ethical issue.

Is she asking purely for a model to be photographed? Or does she require someone to be interviewed aswell as photographed?

No, Daisy wants people to interview for the aricle and a photo is desirable to add human interest, fit in with the magazine's style/make the article more attractive - readers are less likely to read a pure text article.

I'm sure that the age requirements/limits are for relevance to the magazine's readership demographic rather than to ensure that only more visually attractive people are featured.

Not sure I'd qualify for the age limit, but it looks very interesting! I haven't seen the Tumblr post but it would be nice to signal boost.

(Seems like one of the better 'calls for asexual women for magazine piece' requests, anyway.)

Why not contact Dasiy anyway as your input could well be helpful to the finished article?

Daisy would be happy to hear from you.

Ive had an interview and 3 page report for the German Grazia a couple of weeks ago and must say, it was a pleasant experience. Very upbeat tone of the report, very professional styling and photo shooting and a nice framework to go into, too. And I'm more than average myself. In everything. ;)

Enjoy the interview.

Great: well done and thanks for doing this!

Archived