henrik

29 members have voted

1. 1. Well, are you?

• Yes.
    • Yes!
    • No.
    • No!
    • Wait, what?

Queer is a term that has proved itself to be rather problematic for both people who identify as such and those who don't. What does the word actually mean and who should be using it to describe themselves? And, ultimately, can asexuals be considered queer? These are the questions that accompany general randomness in this episode of A Life!

Please do add your thoughts about the subject, but I urge you to listen to the show first. It will considerably clarify the poll and give tons of thought-provoking entertainment. You can find the show here:

http://alifepodcast.wordpress.com/

Gho St Ory Qwan

Personally, I see myself a queer firstly because people tend to consider me eccentric and weird and bla bla, I just kind of throw that term in amongst them.

Second I suppose I'm genderqueer.

Then lastly I guess asexuality could be considered queer. I think if people are hetero-romantic then they wouldn't in my eyes seem queer. But I suppose I see sexual as queer, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

I would be fine if asexuals weren't considered queer, but I understand why we'd be considered it also. *shrugs* My vote for being queer rested more so on the other two mentioned above than my asexuality. I'm rather undecided and possibly indifferent to it being used for asexuality. =S

Looking forward to your next podcast.

Member33070

I'm neutrois-brained, asexual...and some other stuff that usually counts as "queer"... but I don't identify that way. Maybe just because...I don't like the word?

edit since this thread got revived: I'm cisgendered female with a "not-feminine brain" and gray/sexual. I don't consider myself "queer" in a "sexual or gender minority" sense now.

I like the idea that everyone is unique. The word "queer" just makes me think of the whole "abnormal" thing. That assumes there's a "normal" counterpart to "queer", and I think that just divides us. It perpetuates the division between people who identify as "queer" and people who don't, because of the history of the meaning of the word.

We're all "queer", because we all deviate from "normal" in some fashion. Because "normal" doesn't exist, especially since everyone defines "normal" differently. So maybe it's just that I don't see the point of identifying as "queer".

...that's how I see it.

trisarahtops

I have grown quite fond of the word queer. I like that it is all encompassing. I also like that because it's such a catch-all term, it can give you a sense of belonging and makes you feel less like you are on an island of 1 (which I guess any label does).

Vampyremage

I'm not really a big fan of the word queer. To me, its just too vague a term. Given that I have plenty of other more descriptive and more accurate words to use (asexual, panromantic, agender, neutrois, ect.), queer just doesn't seem to have a place. I suppose if one were to want to use the term queer to describe asexual there wouldn't be anything wrong with that, but to me queer is so vague as to almost not have any relavent meaning at all.

I could perhaps identify myself as a genderqueer, I don't know. Chosing labels can give me too much headache sometimes

The Vampire Queen

I voted yes, because being asexual, biromantic, and genderless technically land me in queer country. I don't really describe myself as "queer" because I prefer more descriptive terms. Ace, bi, and genderless are much more specific terms, therefore they give a more accurate description of me.

nope not at all

queer as in different ....lost it's association in the 50's...say queer now and most accept it means gay

on that definition i am most certianly not queer

Other. While I do not identify as queer myself, I don't dislike the label and I won't dissuade anyone calling me queer. I don't really mind the term, I just find other definitions more proper to describe myself.

Gho St Ory Qwan

I have to agree with above also in a way. I don't identify with queer particularly, but I do think I am queer. I also think everyone else is queer. It's just in what ways they're queer that's the point.

I suppose people who're very proud of their identity as queer would disagree with this though.

• 2 months later...

How many of us on here, punched in the search word 'queer' when first trying to find out about asexuality?

If the extended definition of Queer were to be used, then yes, I would most likely fall under the category.

I am probably more Genderqueer than anything else, albeit largely carrying a cisgendered appearance.

I always considered queer to refer to homosexuality, so, no.

Archived