Do you feel there is validity to the existence of the men's movement?

henrik

1. 1. Well, do you?

• Yes, I am for absolute equality
    • Yes, because men are better
    • Yes
    • No, men already have everything they could hope for
    • No, we should concentrate on more pressing priorities
    • No
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Sex is said to be one of the most important great pleasures in life and therefore we asexuals suffer as we're missing out on it. But that is rather silly, because everybody derives great pleasure from different things. Therefore we discuss our great pleasures as well as a large dosage of the signature randomness you've come to expect in this episode of A Life.

Please do add your thoughts about the subject, but I urge you to listen to the show first. It will considerably clarify the poll and give tons of thought-provoking entertainment. You can find the show here:

http://alifepodcast.wordpress.com/

I honestly don't see a point in it. It's not that men aren't allowed to take up their role as fathers or family members, they just don't do so as much as women do because they generally focus on other aspects of life (mostly work). There are more urgent issues to stay focused on, in my humble opinion.

I am for absolute equality but there are more pressing priorities.

I voted "other", simply cos there was no option for "I am for absolute equality but still think that creasing womens rights is more momentous in this world at the time".

When I commented this matter on alifebodcast, my meaning was only to make acknowledge that there are things, as Henrik listed for us on the bodcast, to do for absolute equal. BUT. Creasing womens rights has simply greater causations. Simply more hurry. Equality for all.

• 4 weeks later...
Acel L Freeburn

From what I have seen the men's movement and "men's rights activists" are just anti-feminist misogynists, with extreme hatred towards radical feminism. It reminds of the "white pride" and "white right activists" who are just neo-nazis hiding behind a new name. If there are those who are actually working towards true equality, that's great, but I don't understand calling it a men's movement. We are not oppressed because we are male, we are actually very privileged because of it and we need to recognize this and work with those struggling for true equality, which in my experince is usually radical feminists and their male allies. They are also the ones who are usually there for all survivors of sexual assault, how many male suvivors have the MRAs helped?

The whole idea of reverse isms really bothers me. One can have an individual prejudice against a group that's higher then them in the heirarchy (women against men, non-white against white, working class against employing class, non-hetero against hetero, etc...) but without the backing from the system, culture, etc... I don't think it should be considered discrimination or any type of ism and personally I think this type of prejudice is justified in most cases, but it rarely happens.

it would be nice to have a mens movement yes

if for no other reason than to say they have what others have

but i see men having the same group rights will offend some and be deemed as an acceptable predjudice

7thNavigator

I voted other, because I honestly don't know how to measure equality objectively. Traditionally and stereotypically men think and feel and operate from a different perspective and in a different way than women do. They are only different. Not less or more than the other in terms of value, but only of different aspect.

Women may be afraid of the physical and mental power men may display, but equally men are terrified of the psychological power women may exert. It's a draw. There are differences, but we people of each gender are on equal levels. It's not the payroll or the household chores. Women are better at one thing, while men are better at another thing, I think this is equality.

The genders would complement each other if there would only be enough wisdom. I see no need in feminism or masculinism, only a need to more appreciate each gender. :)

I think there are a lot of area's where men are not treated equally. For example there are far fewer services available for men who are victims of domestic violence than for women in the same circumstance, and in spite of the fact that men are far more likely to stay in an abusive relationship (particularly if they have children) there is little public awareness of the problem.

Questionably Sane

I voted other, because I'd say "No, because I am for absolute equality".

Sure, there may be some things where women have an unfair advantage over men. Some of them can be really problematic, such as domestic abuse and child custody.

The problem is that "masculinist" activists use the screen of equivalence and the language of rights to argue for undoing the successes that Feminism has accomplished in order to reinforce traditional gender roles, claiming that there is some sort of weird conspiracy where women use sex as a weapon against the innocent man to overpower him and have him bow at her feet in the name of Women's Empowerment. "Feminazi" is an applause light in those circles.

Some Grey Bloke had a nice, sarcastic video on the matter:

And there's a blog dedicated to cataloguing it: http://manboobz.com/wtf-is-a-mgtow-a-glossary/

So sure, equal rights is good. Maybe "Feminism" should be relabelled "Gender Egalitarianism" and we can tuck the men's rights stuff in there. Having a separate movement for the attaining of more rights for men? That does more harm than good, because it invites in the reactionaries who fight against Feminism rather than for something.

Winston Marrs

-Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me." Good point there. After all, he was the walrus.

Addicted2Oreos

I voted other, because I honestly don't know how to measure equality objectively. Traditionally and stereotypically men think and feel and operate from a different perspective and in a different way than women do. They are only different. Not less or more than the other in terms of value, but only of different aspect.

Women may be afraid of the physical and mental power men may display, but equally men are terrified of the psychological power women may exert. It's a draw. There are differences, but we people of each gender are on equal levels. It's not the payroll or the household chores. Women are better at one thing, while men are better at another thing, I think this is equality.

The genders would complement each other if there would only be enough wisdom. I see no need in feminism or masculinism, only a need to more appreciate each gender.

---

This- absolutely. Thanks for pointing out that there ARE differences in the strengths and desires of the genders. I couldn't have said it better myself.

• 10 months later...

I am for complete gender fairness and as much equality as physically possible - but the Men's Rights Activists and Men Going Their Own Way are not.

'Men's Rights' are in fact more of a hateful, misogynistic, anti-feminist, racist, homophobic rape joke made by immature disenfranchised men who vastly overrate their own attractiveness and derive so much entitlement from their sex that they have lost the ability to search the reasons for their failures in their own social and emotional shortcomings.

Women may be afraid of the physical and mental power men may display, but equally men are terrified of the psychological power women may exert.
And this is bullshit. Men and women don't differ in 'mental power' or 'psychological power'.

The founders of psychology are mostly male since at that time academia was closed to most women; if men were so inferior to women in terms of 'psychological power' psychology would only have started with feminism. Also, there are as many socially manipulative, charismatic men as there are women - the same is for tenderness and empathy.

The natural sciences are currently invaded by loads and loads of women, and also, women are overtaking men in terms of educational accomplishments. If men were so much more mentally powerful than women you wouldn't see this.

I am for complete gender fairness and as much equality as physically possible - but the Men's Rights Activists and Men Going Their Own Way are not.

'Men's Rights' are in fact more of a hateful, misogynistic, anti-feminist, racist, homophobic rape joke made by immature disenfranchised men who vastly overrate their own attractiveness and derive so much entitlement from their sex that they have lost the ability to search the reasons for their failures in their own social and emotional shortcomings.

You could say that about both sides, though. I've read some downright disturbing sentiments from some self-proclaimed feminists. Does this mean all feminists should be painted as hateful, misandristic, bigoted, anti-trans women who are just bitter jilted lovers? No. Do feminists still have good points and valid complaints? Yes.

Men's Rights is the exact same way. There's always going to be a portion of them that want gender dominance, just as there's a portion of feminists that want gender dominance. Those type of people are not valid on either side, however, I believe men do have some valid complaints that need to be addressed, and if they want to devote their time to a movement to get the problems fixed, they should.

I am for absolute equality, and see the masculist movement as a counterpoint to the feminist movement. They both fight for gender equality, just from different points of view, and I respect that. There are some issues that men do face over women, namely custody arguments in divorce cases. In divorce cases, men are often spun to be the abuser/instigator of the divorce, and thus unable/unfit to see their children as often as they would like. Also, like anything else, sex discrimination can work both ways, and female-on-male abuse/rape is highly ignored, to the point where people deny its very existence/deem it acceptable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived