At what age do you believe you came into your sexual maturity?

henrik

Note: For the purpose of this poll, sexual maturity is not defined as when or if you became sexually active, but when you came into ownership and understanding of your sexual orientation.  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Well? Out with it!

• Younger than 15
    • 15-20
    • 20-25
    • 25-30
    • Older than 30
    • Not yet

This week the intrepid panel of A Life delves into the depths of maturity. Often asexuality is confused with sexual immaturity, so we discuss how they differ from each other and how to tell them apart.

Please do add your thoughts about the subject, but I urge you to listen to the show first. It will considerably clarify the poll and give tons of thought-provoking entertainment. You can find the show here:

http://alifepodcast.wordpress.com/

Vampyremage

I would say I came into my sexual maturity in my late teens, somewhere between 17-19. Although I did have my first bf around 16, I don't think I felt comfortable with my sexuality until around that age.

I don't really know. I think I became aware of it around last year, but I've always felt I was a heteroromantic, ever since I was 13. So, basically, the very moment I started thinking about romance as a possibility for my future life, I realized what I really wanted. Haven't changed my mind ever since ;)

Definitely within the last couple of years. Until the age of 19 I just assumed that I was straight, but that I hadn't 'sexually awakened' yet, in order to account for my inability to feel pleasure.

Oh... I really don`t know. But I answered under 15. Maybe sometimes in primary scool... I just grow up and I had no feelings what so ever towards opposite sex (allthoug I`m typing myself as a demiromantic asexual). So what should I answer? Interest just weren`t there.

I put 15-20, but I'm not quite sure. I think that's around the time I found at that asexuality existed. I used to wonder if something was wrong with me and if I was ever going to "grow up". I've never had crushes on anybody or been interested in anybody in any way beside platonically. I also thought maybe it had to do with my depression and such, but I don't think so now. So yeah. :cake: .

I believe in became sexually mature at age 19. That was the age when I slapped the asexuality label on myself. When I was younger, before I found AVEN, I thought that maybe I was heterosexual with a low sex drive, or it was because of my poor social skills, but now I believe I was asexual all along.

Moon Thief

I discovered the site when I was 15, but I didn't really come to terms with being asexual until I was about 17.

SquirrelCat

Well I became aware that I was sexually different from my classmates when I was 14, that's when I understood that I had no interest in either men or women and that I couldn't understand sexual attraction in any form, way or function.

But I thought that maybe the sexual attraction would come some day; I might just be later than everyone else….

I didn't come into contact with the term asexuality until I was 16-17, and back then I used to think that it had something to do with a failed Oedipus complex. (When I die I’m gonna kill Freud, he was genius but he didn’t know shit about sexuality)

It wasn’t until I was 21 that I found this site, and it has helped me a lot, especially in knowing that I’m not alone. Thank you AVEN :cake:

• 3 weeks later...
kelseygurl

I always knew I was different, I just didn't know to call myself "asexual" until I was 14. Thanks to AVEN. :aven: :wub:

kelseygurl

When I die I’m gonna kill Freud, he was genius but he didn’t know shit about sexuality

While you're at it, can you harp at him for saying everyone is bisexual. I mean, what would that make ACES? Maybe he would say that every ace person is just a suppressed bisexual. <_<

can you come into your sexual maturity if you are asexual?

Guest member25959

I 'came into understanding' of my sexuality some time before I was 15. I never really even thought about my sexuality prior to 10-11. It was only when my friends in school started to discuss interests in dating that I started to think more in depth about it. I kind of knew from the early stages of thinking about it that I had no sexual/romantic interests.

I said 15-20. I was already a really late bloomer compared to those around me, so I know that definitely played a role in me taking a while to figure myself out. I didn't want to jump to conclusions about any potential orientations, but my initial concerns came around 15-16. It wasn't until I was 20 and halfway finished college that I started to think that I was probably as "mature" (barring the fact that people think I'm younger than my 17 year old sister on an almost weekly basis) as I was going to get, and that I probably just wasn't a sexual person.

I was sexually abused [a lot] in my youth. I was about 8 when it started. So I've always felt that I was sort of forced to mature sexually quicker than most.

AdmiralAddax

I was really quite a late-bloomer. I didn't have my first crush until I was 15 or 16. I didn't realize I was an ace until I was 19. I've read that asexuals tend to be late-bloomers, which is interesting because my friends (all sexuals) came into maturity when they were 12-15ish.

Personally I knew there was something different with me when I was 14 or so. I distinctly remember some awful bullies in my class coming up to me and asking me which boy I liked in the class. When I said no to every name they gave me, they then proceeded to ask me girl names. Again, all Nos. They were very confused but the truth is the truth. To be honest, at the time, I almost felt like I had to pretend I liked someone. And I did do that, in my hand. I told myself I liked this person and forced myself to think about them alot. It wasn't real or anything, I just did it because I thought I was supposed to. So yeah, 14 is probably it. Though 'sexual maturity' sounds a bit weird to my ears. That makes it sound as if I became sexually aware of other people, which of course I didn't.

Archived