Do you participate in offline asexuality activities?

henrik

1. 1. Well, do you?

• Yes, I go to meet-ups
    • Yes, I do media appearances
    • Yes, I participate in LGBT events
    • Yes, I do visibility and education work
    • Yes, I do something else (please elaborate)
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Life happens! Even when it's offline. So asexuality happens. Even when it's offline. And that is what we discuss in the latest installment of A Life.

Please do add your thoughts about the subject, but I urge you to listen to the show first. It will considerably clarify the poll and give tons of thought-provoking entertainment. You can find the show here:

http://alifepodcast.wordpress.com/

I'm on a panel at my university, and we go around to different classrooms and sometimes different schools to talk about our experiences as [whatever we are in terms of orientation]. I voted "I do visibility and education work," but it also coincides with the LGBT community.

I have yet to go to an AVEN meet, but there's a chance I'll be able to go to one this summer. :3

Vampyremage

So far all I've done is a couple of meetups but maybe one day I'll be able to do more than that.

I just go to meets, I do notice that people tend to be different from their on-line persona's and the content of the conversations are more mainstream than that posted on the boards.

No one appears to want to reach out to other communities or cultures, but just to enjoy each other's company, in a way only asexual's can. It is like seeking refuge for the day ( or the weekend, when we go camping), and being allowed to be yourself and fully accepted as such.

AnyOtherName

why can't a person choose more than one option in this poll? :unsure:

Seconded.

During the school year I'm involved in an LGBTQA student organization, which meets weekly and has various events during both semesters. I also volunteer sometimes at my university's LBGTQA resource center, which also hosts various events and speakers. Asexuality doesn't come up often, but most people I've talked to in those groups have either heard of it or immediately ask "What's that?" It's just one more orientation/identification to add to their vocabulary. :) (It hasn't happened yet, but some individuals have expressed interest in wanting to do something about neglected/overlooked minorities, asexuality included, without prompting!)

I'm not overly keen on the idea of meetups, partly out of laziness. If I knew there was a meetup (or definitely some other ace-related event) going on in town, I'd be more likely to go. But I'm more interested in asexual visibility and education than social interaction. I'm sure I'd like people once I met them, but I don't consider asexuality a "good" reason by itself to meet with someone, conventions and research-related interviews aside. >.>

I do not do offline asexuality activities.

Not yet, but I'd really like to attend some meetings. There's not much here in Italy and I won't be able to participate in the upcoming May meetup, sadly, but one day I hope I will.

I've been to one Pride with AVEN, and am going to another this year. I've also been to a few meet ups in Cardiff and Bristol with AVEN folk. Love AVEN meets.

Benjfcarter

I would if I encountered any, but I haven't (and last time I looked the nearest thing on the meetups forum was a fair way away).

Moon Thief

No, but I would really like to go to a meet up.

I've been in one meet-up now. Meet-ups are seldomly held in my area so I haven't been to any others yet. I would really like to join in on more meet-ups if they usually werent hundreds of miles away from me.

Missingpieces

Heh I looked at this just to see what you meant by asexual activities.

But no I do none of the above mentioned things now days.

The MoUsY spell-checker

I go to meetups regularly. In Sydney, we have a group that usually meets once a month. Some of our regulars don't post much outside of the meetup forum.

I've also been

SquirrelCat

Yes, I do visibility and education work.

I make awareness posters for different events and schools, and some other stuff....

I still haven't been to a meet-up, but I plan on going.

BØØM

Life.... offline? That's new to me.

But a serious answer, no I don't. I don't really have any interest to.

Member 35376

I voted (woh.. only me!) "Yes, I do something else (please elaborate)".

So... elaborating.

I am quite the talker in RL (too) so every once in a while I sneak in and mention something subtle in a conversation. It can be about asexuality, polyamoury, health issues, etc, but it can also be about personality-types that are hardly ever mentioned or recognized. Besides this I support in private (as far as I am able to) a person who does a lot of visibility work for asexuals as I myself am not keen on going public about my own asexuality (very much due to that I am a complex case). My attitude towards going public about anything is also negative as I do not like attention at all.. though that might change in the future as there are things that need to be in the awareness of peoples minds that I feel never really comes to the surface or in its "true light".. ever. So who knows.. I might one day go public with mentioned and other things on my mind.

The other day in RL this woman said to me suddenly "this line, right here, that you have written.. may I steal/borrow that for My job? Cause it would help a lot of people".. "mildly" surprised that a few words could do that much I of course said that it was OK and said that I was only happy to be able to help others in need bad need. Such things give me reason to actually go public one day about.. many things. Because it would be for the benefit of many and not.. myself.

• 1 month later...
allons-y-alonso

Me and my best friend bake elaborate cakes together, but she's the only other ace I know. Does that count for something?

Besides that, I'm involved in several LGBTQIA organizations, and have spoken with 2 GSAs.

.diva plavalaguna.

Not mes. I never met another asexual offline before. ):

Nope.

There's zilch to do in Preston, let alone anything to do with asexual activities ^^;

Many of my real life friends are either AVEN members or former AVEN members. I got together with several of them a few weeks ago, and we enjoyed doing some touristy things around the Seattle area. We couldn't really call it an AVEN meetup, though, since all of them (except my husband and me) left AVEN years ago.

I had asexy visitors from all over the place, ranging from Australia to New York and several places in between. It was lots of fun!

In the past I did a lot more, including meetups and media appearances. (20/20 and Montel)

-gb

I'm in a weird position where two of my closest friends from college are asexual, but I don't know if I'd consider that an "offline asexual activity", because it would be like my heterosexual friends calling hanging out an "offline sexual activity."

I'm not sure if we'd ever do anything strictly related to asexuality, but if an opportunity presented itself to go to a meetup with them or a pride event, I don't think I'd turn it down.

• 1 year later...

I'm in my university's queer alliance, and as one of the only 'out' aces on campus, I tend to do a fair amount of visibility and education work, just in my daily life at school. I always say "it's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it" to myself when I find that people may treat me differently because I'm asexual, leading to unnecessary loneliness.

I don't participate in anything and I don't plan to in the near future. In five years or so, though, I might join something. :)

• 4 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived