Suicide

Siggy

1 member has voted

1. 1. Have you ever seriously considered committing suicide or taking your own life? (Only answer if you're on the asexual spectrum.)

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

In a recent report on bisexuality, I read that bisexuals have an increased rate of suicidality over gays and lesbians. Perhaps we could get some numbers on asexuals and compare.

Suicidality rates

Bisexual women: 45.4%

Lesbian women: 29.5%

Heterosexual women: 9.6%

Bisexual men: 34.8%

Gay men: 25.2%

Heterosexual men: 7.4%

The sources for this data are two papers based on the Canada Community Health Survey in 2003. I copied the wording of the question from that survey. But I have no pretense of this being a scientific survey. AVEN isn't exactly a representative sample of anything except AVEN.

In a recent report on bisexuality, I read that bisexuals have an increased rate of suicidality over gays and lesbians. Perhaps we could get some numbers on asexuals and compare.

Suicidality rates

Bisexual women: 45.4%

Lesbian women: 29.5%

Heterosexual women: 9.6%

Bisexual men: 34.8%

Gay men: 25.2%

Heterosexual men: 7.4%

The sources for this data are two papers based on the Canada Community Health Survey in 2003. I copied the wording of the question from that survey. But I have no pretense of this being a scientific survey. AVEN isn't exactly a representative sample of anything except AVEN.

Well, I have attempted suicide more than once and have been committed more than once as well. Bisexuals pose an interesting position. They are often times not accepted by straight people and even less so by gay people because they feel they're "confused" or "haven't decided yet." There is a lot of discrimination against bi people.

Vampyremage

Seriously contemplated it, primarily when I was still in high school but never quite got to the point of making a serious attempt. There were certainly times, however, when one more thing could very easily have sent me down that road.

Vorpal Bunny

Thought about it and planned it out... never really got around to doing it though, always just a tiny thing to keep me grounded.

yes i have. and i have recently (some time last year) decided to take hanging for a spin. yeah . . . that hurts like a bitch. don't ever try that . . . just don't. was trying not to leave a mess. never got caught because they were not home for a month.

anyways. i'm not really active on trying anymore as i've managed to fail at it like the huge fail that i am :P .

i am just pretty much sitting around waiting to die. try and enjoy it. thank goodness for being easily amused ^_^ .

not related to orientation though.

Gho St Ory Qwan

Yup but it's not to do with my asexuality. How many of these suicides are related to sexuality? or do you think the general alienation from the 'norm' makes suicide higher in different sexualities?

Should that not apply ethnic minorities to whatever place they live in also? And other such things?

I've attempted to do it on Christmas Eve night when everyone was asleep under the Christmas tree so they would see their " present " when the morning came but somethings happened and my attempt failed. My parents never knew of it not even up to today.

Suicide does cross my mind sometimes but meh I'm too lazy to try it again.

I've thought about it...but I'm actually too fond of myself to do it (I hope.)

the Lady Ashuko

I'm in an interesting position here because I have a disorder which makes me feel as though death or suicide stalks me. It's like I feel a physical urge to [open the car door on the freeway, fall off a balcony, etc] and have to use every bit of energy NOT to do the action. This happens on a daily basis. I do have depression and have attempted suicide twice but both were at times when my meds were recently changed and I didn't have my normal level of control over myself.

..Yup but it's not to do with my asexuality.

like most figures they can be twisted to give the originator attention to a piece or theory

it tends to be people who think a lot..over analyze in many ways

it also tends to be people who are depressed

the largest amount tends to be young adults

I doubt very much if asexuality overides any of the above as a reason

I can see why sexual orientations, choices may be part of the reasoning behind consideration for such..but beyond that ..no

Yup but it's not to do with my asexuality. How many of these suicides are related to sexuality? or do you think the general alienation from the 'norm' makes suicide higher in different sexualities?

Should that not apply ethnic minorities to whatever place they live in also? And other such things?

Given that the heterosexual suicidality rate is 7-10%, everything in excess of that we could attribute to a non-hetero orientation. But there could be confounding factors. For example, if asexuals are more likely to be lower class (I have no idea if this is true), and lower class people have a higher suicidality rate. Or it could have something to do with the AVEN population, if suicidal people are more likely to look for an internet community. I don't know.

If you can find similar numbers for ethnic minorities, that would be wonderful.

AnyOtherName

Once. I was going through one of my bouts of self doubt, only this time I was in a foreign country (and barely spoke the language) for the first time, away from my family for more than a month for the first time, and had to plan an impromptu vacation for myself while simultaneously having difficulty registering for classes online for my return home, and it didn't occur to me until afterwards that I would have had my dorm mates' support if I'd let on I was having difficulty. I stress myself out too easily and that was not a great situation to be in. >.<

I've been fine since then, and never thought I'd consider it before it happened. It was scary.

Yes. But it had nothing to do with asexuality. It was because of bullying at school and because my mother didn´t believe that it was really so horrible and she didn´t help me. I felt in those times like the whole world rejected me.

FrozenCherry

Yes. But it had nothing to do with asexuality. It was because of bullying at school and because my mother didn´t believe that it was really so horrible and she didn´t help me. I felt in those times like the whole world rejected me.

I feel your pain. My mother also says there is no Internet bullying or threatening because it does not happend real because Internet is not a real place :blink:

but is internet bullying a self inflicted wound?

before you go running of to the mods..think a bit

it is in many ways like that avatar where someone is saying to thier partner..hold on a minute..someone is wrong on the internet

in many ways a good comparison is some one watching a tv programme they absolutely hate ..just to complain about it

the same way many stay in face book just to have a row..when they could have just as easily..if they disgreed..logged off

I'm not saying bullying is right..far from it..i do ask when you have an option to click off and walk away..why some do not

Member 35376

The one main thing I keep forgetting when it comes to such dark thoughts is that it is often a direct emotional response to a threat you feel you cannot overcome... therefore the emotional logic that by escaping life you also escape the threat (may or may not be true.. no one knows). Now.. when it comes to some incidents in life you cannot escape (I'm talking terminal/chronic diseases of different kinds).. but most of the time you can escape a mental tough situation put onto you.. be it elements in society or the wrong people around you.. etc. The other thing I keep forgetting is what one should do and actually has every right TO DO... be mad. Don't take shit. Blame the real perpetrators.. not you... not anyone else. We sometimes have some sort of "high moral" I feel that we "should" be able to not be angry at all in this life.. when it is CALLED FOR it is actually very healthy. Now... you don't have to beat the shit out of wrong-doers literally.. there are more moral ways to go.. showing that you are angry is sure one first step, actually it is, IMO, the right step.. and if people never seen you angry before.. "step on it"... they sure are in for a surprise when that happens. And if you haven't been angry in, like years.. I also say "step on it".. many times it has made me feel better... and still I haven't become a raging madman who starts to punch people in the face in the same second they say something cruel to me ;)

"Stanley Spadowski" really says it the right way :D

No. I never considered suicide. I hope I never get that low to do it either. Although, I considered homicide before.

Wtf?! The statistics are yes:no--->3:1! :blink: Can anyone help me raise the noes?

:cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake:

To all those who had suicidal thoughts!

Yeah, sad looking poll, isn't it? :( I first tried to commit suicide at 11. Tried again at 18, twice if you stretch your definition (the second time was only superficial but I meant it).

I wonder if the poll needs three parts?

Many I suspect during tough times would have thought about it

Of those some will have thought about it how to

And of those some will have attempted it

Yes.

It's been a couple of years tho' and the main reason why I finally sought help and got started on my recovery from depression. I've had some depression relapses recently.... but never so bad that I would seriously commit suicide. I can think about suicide when I'm feeling hopeless but it's more of a desperate "I can't take it anymore" kind of way.

Before, when I believe I really would have done it if I had the means, it was more ... logical. Kind of a "it just makes sense". And I thought thoroughly about how I would do it. Basically, I wanted to make sure none of my family members were the ones to find me, because of the potential trauma that would create. Especially if one of my nephews discovered the body... I wouldn't want to do that to them. So I wanted to drive somewhere in the middle of nowhere, call the paramedics and tell them where to find the body and then make sure to do it before they get there. Seems more considerate than just letting a stranger or family member go through the shock of finding a dead body when they don't expect it. Only thing though was how to do it. A gun seemed most effective but very difficult to get a hold of in my native country. Next to that were pills but I had no idea how and where to get a hold of that either. And with pills you don't know how fast they work and I didn't want to risk still being alive when the ambulance got there. Funnily, I never though about slitting my wrists...

Anyway, it is indeed sad how many people here have thought about suicide :( For me, getting on antidepressants helped a lot. It's still not perfect and I don't really believe I will ever be "happy". But being ok most of the time and sometimes happy is good enough. And I know now that I definitely want to live.

BaronTheCat

I have considered it, but never seriously, so I voted "no".

I don't know what happens after death. It could be something better or something worse or nothing. So I think it's best to deal with the situation at hand, however impossible it might seem.

And there are people who will be very sad if I die, (and put the blame on themselves) even if I sometimes feel I don't have much to lose.

No. I never considered suicide. I hope I never get that low to do it either. Although, I considered homicide before.

So have I. :twisted: But I don't want to end up in prison. I suffered at high school, so I'll no doubt suffer in prison.

There was a phase where I'd imagine myself doing it on a daily basis, but I knew deep down I didn't have it in me to do it.

Archived