One-Sylable Word for Asexuals?

Red Angel

If someone is heterosexual, zie is called "straight" for short.

If someone is homosexual, zie is called "gay" for short.

If someone is bisexual, zie is called "bi" for short.

Is there any one-sylable word for someone who is asexual?

Hmm, you call them "zie", I'm used to "ve" (Greg Egan stories have smoetimes asexuals appering in).

Which would be best ?

Maybe "a" is too short, what about asex ?

Hmm, you call them "zie", I'm used to "ve" (Greg Egan stories have smoetimes asexuals appering in).

Which would be best ?

Whichever you like, as long as you're able to communicate your meaning. Neither is really official or that widely used. I've seen 'zie' used more. But then I've also seen s/he and ze too, among others.

It does fail on the 'one-syllable' criteria, though... :)

Actually I was just going by how people describe themselves on this site. Many AVENites talk about 'coming out as A', or what have you, so it seems to have come most naturally to at least a number of people here.

To quote Mindlife:

Not straight,

Not gay,

Not bi,

Just A.

(This is one of my all-time favorite slogans!)

-Greybird

Rose_and_Thorn
To quote Mindlife:

Not straight,

Not gay,

Not bi,

Just A.

(This is one of my all-time favorite slogans!)

-Greybird

Yeah, I've heard it used like that in a sentence a few times as well

"He's A" though usually you get a "huh' and then you fill in that it stands for Asexual. Just hasn't been used enough like bi to be a recognizable term yet.

In my circle another term has sprung up recently due to GQ and Details, "metrosexual", which isn't exactly the same, but used to describe people who are more concerned with looking good and having a great time than hooking up when they go out.

I'm not prone to the whole "metrosexual" thing. It implies that we're all conceited, vain individuals who care more about appearance than anything. I think most of us here would agree that's not true. For me asexuality at this point in my life, means I'm free from the day to day stress of the "sexuals" lifestyle. I don't have to worry about getting all dressed up, shaving my legs and bleeding to death, spending massive amounts of money on make up that would just rub off if I was doing the normal, icky things sexuals do when they date. Blech!

I think a good one syllable term for us would be spore...check this out

spore (spôr)

n.

1. A small, usually single-celled asexual or sexual reproductive body that is highly resistant to desiccation and heat and is capable of growing into a new organism, produced especially by certain bacteria, fungi, algae, and nonflowering plants.

2. A dormant, nonreproductive body formed by certain bacteria in response to adverse environmental conditions.

But hey thats just me, I'm all for A! Or to shorten asexual...ase or ace. Ace-sexual...YAY for me.

Personally, I think A is a bit to short, and people who are hard of hearing might confuse it with gay :roll:

I don't really have the power to change the term though, so I won't complain

True meep, but "asexual" is often misheard to be "a sexual". I think I prefer "a" to spore, though. Spore reinforces that "amoeba" association with asexuals, of which I am not too fond.

Also, I like "a" because it can double for "androgynous" when appropriate. Obviously this would not be a perk for every asexual on this board, but many.

Maybe someone should start up a poll for this. Not sure what the choices would be though (or i'd do it).

We had briefly touched on the word "Ace"(apparently so brief no one even remembered), which I thought was really cool sounding and tried to use a few times, but apparently it did not catch on, unless we've changed our minds in which case people have to start disseminating it in order for it to catch on.

I thought it was good because:~it's one syllable

~it's the first two sounds in the word asexual with a new spelling

~the new spelling gives it a twist because ace is an already established word that is sort of inherently cool sounding

....but if people don't like, then what can you do?

Live R Perfect

I prefer 'A' myself. 'Ace' is an exclamation I would have used as a 9 year old, along with 'Fab' and 'Brill'. :lol:

To quote Mindlife:

Not straight,

Not gay,

Not bi,

Just A.

Yeah... where IS Mindlife these days?! :?

Personally, I think A is a bit to short, and people who are hard of hearing might confuse it with gay :roll:

I agree.

I don't really have the power to change the term though, so I won't complain

But if it's not yet a fully recognized term, then it's not too late to change it yet, is it?

It does fail on the 'one-syllable' criteria, though... :)

How 'bout we just remove the "x" from the end of it? That way it will be "ase".

If someone hears the term "gay" when you say "A", they might think that they heard you correct - but if zie hears you say "ace" when you really said "ase", they'll know from the context that you did not mean "ace" - and they'll probably ask you to elaborate (or they'll just walk away confused).

We had briefly touched on the word "Ace"(apparently so brief no one even remembered), which I thought was really cool sounding and tried to use a few times, but apparently it did not catch on, unless we've changed our minds in which case people have to start disseminating it in order for it to catch on.

I thought it was good because:~it's one syllable

~it's the first two sounds in the word asexual with a new spelling

~the new spelling gives it a twist because ace is an already established word that is sort of inherently cool sounding

....but if people don't like, then what can you do?

I like that term very much! As a matter of fact, it's just like what I was thinking of (except for the spelling).

I think I'll identify myself as "Ace".

Ooh. Ace has a nice ring to it.

How about "void"? Urm.. it sounds okay enough for myself to use anyway. ^^;

Yes. I liked "Ace" the best - until now. I agree, "void" is even better.

quietbraggadocio

How about Solo? Solosexual seems to imply that you don't have sex with anyone else, and it sounds cool to, in my opinion. "Are you gay or straight?" "No, I'm a Solo 8)! "

I'm a hetero-romantic Solosexual.

What about sans? Sans means without...sansexual...which would be another term for asexual. Or stark,

stark

adj 1: devoid of any qualifications or disguise or adornment; "the blunt truth"

or AWOL...which has double meaning...absent w/o leave...becuz we stray from the sexual "society"...or Asexual With Out Lust...plus its another "a" word...although I admit I still like ase or ace...its short, to the point, a good word, derived from asexual and If you turn the AVEN symbol upside down you can almost turn it into an A like the ACE of SPADES. I think Ace would be the perfect shortened term. We could have awesome t-shirts with the Aven symbol used on an "Ase" of Spades card...which also is the card thats considered the "odd man out" so to speak...I see the genius in it...I say we make a poll. I may just make a shirt like that now, just out of my own pocket.

We could have awesome t-shirts with the Aven symbol used on an "Ase" of Spades card...which also is the card thats considered the "odd man out" so to speak...I see the genius in it...I say we make a poll. I may just make a shirt like that now, just out of my own pocket.

Kewl! Are you planning to sell it, or to make it for just yourself?

If you plan to make it for just yourself, could you post the image-file somewhere so that other's can make their own T-shirts?

justanotherone
I think a good one syllable term for us would be spore...check this out

spore (spôr)

n.

1. A small, usually single-celled asexual or sexual reproductive body that is highly resistant to desiccation and heat and is capable of growing into a new organism, produced especially by certain bacteria, fungi, algae, and nonflowering plants.

2. A dormant, nonreproductive body formed by certain bacteria in response to adverse environmental conditions.

But hey thats just me, I'm all for A! Or to shorten asexual...ase or ace. Ace-sexual...YAY for me.

I would LOVE to be a 'spore'! It has such a lovely non-conformist ring to it! "Ace" sounds more like a nickname for a hot-shot pilot, thinketh moi. Spore. Spore. There's a definite ring to it, and it sounds better each time I say it! SPORE! Shout it from the rooftops, people!

Well hey, if we aren't whores, we can be the opposite, spores! I'm just throwing ideas out here. I get absolutely overcreative when I don't sleep. Ah such is the life of an atheist asexual single mother insomniac.

Spores, aces and voids, UNITE!!

We seem to have a bit too much disagreement here. It's up to LonePiper to save the day! We should be called:

Floinkpt.

Yep. Floinkpt.

Don't ask why, but that's what we have to be called, and there are no two ways about it!

Do you wanna fight it? Do ya? Huh?

:P

But seriously, I agree that "A" is just too short and too easily confused with Gay".

But my problem with Spore is that it sounds too malignant, like we are going to attach ourselves to people and infect them with something nasty or something.

Therefore its Floinkpt. Can you not see the logic?

Therefore its Floinkpt. Can you not see the logic?

Logic seems impeccable. :D

Pronunciation seems impossible. :)

So, an ase is a god, which could be something like an angel in our culture.

hmmm. 'ase' sounds good in theory... but a small typo could have a disastrous effect...

quietbraggadocio
(and angels are asexuals, aren't they ?)

Actually angels could and did take wives and the offspring were man eating giant and sources of evil thoughout the world.

"they took wives unto themselves, and everyone (respectively) chose one woman for himself, and they began to go unto them. And they taught them magical medicine, incantations, the cutting of roots, and taught them (about) plants. And the women became pregnant and gave birth to great giants whose heights were three hundred cubits. These (giants) consumed the produce of all the people until the people detested feeding them. So the giants turned against (the people) in order to eat them." - 1 Enoch 7:1-5

Here is a great site for this kind of stuff:

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/delirium/myt...gy/watchers.asp

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/delirium/art...eview.asp?ID=35

Wasen't the book of Enoch left out becuase it had so many things about angels? (if it wasen't left out then i'm thinking of something else)

Archived