A mascot for AVEN?

Mythee

Something that I and a lot of people might enjoy- an asexual or AVEN mascot character! Kind of like the DA mascot character. If you left the design up to me it'd become ultrakawaiidesune, which might not be in everyone's best interests, so I figure there should be a thread about it or something and people can submit all their ideas and such. I dunno.

I'm thinking of a chibi amoeba creature... xD;;;

• 3 weeks later...
Amputation Defenestration

This is kind of an odd idea but I always thought it would be funny if someone did videos with short, asexual-themed song parodies that end with an image promoting AVEN.

I suddenly feel like this REALLY NEEDS TO HAPPEN. Make it so!

• 1 month later...
mad_scientist

Something that I and a lot of people might enjoy- an asexual or AVEN mascot character! Kind of like the DA mascot character. If you left the design up to me it'd become ultrakawaiidesune, which might not be in everyone's best interests, so I figure there should be a thread about it or something and people can submit all their ideas and such. I dunno.

I can support this incredibly awesome idea only if somebody makes plush dolls of said character available. Or sewing my own turns out to be easy. One of those conditions.

I say we have a design comp.

I can support this incredibly awesome idea only if somebody makes plush dolls of said character available. Or sewing my own turns out to be easy. One of those conditions.

I say we have a design comp.

Hmmm... I like this idea myself, let me discuss it with the PT and admods or something.

I'm not so much a fan of the mascot idea either. I think it's tacky and cute in a bad way. (As far as I know, also, our meetups don't have a mascot. They do just fine without one.)

Also, I like what Siggy said over on Apositive about the idea of a mascot "just for fun" devaluing the existing symbols that asexuality has. I mean, the entire point of having a mascot is to be a symbol. Cutesifying one symbol of asexuality--and if it's an official project, with the PT of AVEN behind it, it's not just a few people making something silly--has the effect of removing some of the serious power from the existing symbols we have.

If you guys want plush dolls of something, why not make plush dolls of cake? That is the existing AVEN-specific just-for-fun symbol. Do we seriously need a humanoid one?

i've got to concur. i don't care for the idea of a mascot. i know had there been one prominently displayed or referred to when i first came here, i would have been put off. cake is one thing--it's sort of a universal symbol of hospitality and comfort--but a mascot seems to trivialize something which is most certainly not trivial.

Okay, so I have hopped over from Apositive to see what all of the fuss is about. Hmmm ... not much is actually happening. I figured it would be well started if word of it had already reached us over on the other side of the fence.

I'm one of the ones who is skeptical about AVEN's needing a mascot, but since I am also every bit as opinionated as the next person, I DO have a favorite asexual icon in the animal kingdom. I mean ... if we are going to have one anyway then I want to nominate my favorite. Just because.

It is NOT an amoeba! (What have amoebas ever done for humanity besides give us dysentery? Eeeew!)

Nope. My favorite asexual animal is the honeybee! Almost all of them are completely asexual even though an asexual worker CAN (under extreme circumstances) lay a few eggs if she absolutely has to.

They are very fuzzy, they smell nice (you can take my word for it if you don't wish to find that one out for yourself! :) ), they have a tight-knit social structure, they work hard, they pollinate many of our most useful crops, and they make honey. They are normally very peaceful and gentle but you do NOT want to piss them off!

Well ... and they tend to get very mellow when they encounter smoke, but that might not be the precise kind of analogy that we are looking for ... :P

-GB

(aka: KAGU143 at Apositive)

Something age-neutral, please. Sixteen-year-olds will probably come in by themselves; 36-year-olds are the ones who need to be informed.

A bee would be fine. "A bee" -- or "Ace Bee". If we want to recruit, it could be "Be(e) Ace!" No, not that...

It's funny how in a way this is the flag discussion revisited... (only less potent)

Well, I only thought it would be fun for a contest and the results aren't official, but after seeing all the negative responses I've stepped away from the idea.

I saw the title and thought ... I bet the op has an anime or cartoon avatar... Sure enough

Really ? Fuck me we need a teen section just to keep the sillyness contained

If you guys want plush dolls of something, why not make plush dolls of cake? That is the existing AVEN-specific just-for-fun symbol. Do we seriously need a humanoid one?

Agreed. If you look on Etsy.com there are like 300 entries for "kawaii cupcake". Considering cute stuffed cake is already popular, to me that would seem to be the natural mascot...if people feel the need to have one.

mad_scientist

I was very enthusiastic about this at first but if people are that against it then it might be a step backward.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I have hopped over from Apositive to see what all of the fuss is about. Hmmm ... not much is actually happening. I figured it would be well started if word of it had already reached us over on the other side of the fence.

I'm one of the ones who is skeptical about AVEN's needing a mascot, but since I am also every bit as opinionated as the next person, I DO have a favorite asexual icon in the animal kingdom. I mean ... if we are going to have one anyway then I want to nominate my favorite. Just because.

It is NOT an amoeba! (What have amoebas ever done for humanity besides give us dysentery? Eeeew!)

Nope. My favorite asexual animal is the honeybee! Almost all of them are completely asexual even though an asexual worker CAN (under extreme circumstances) lay a few eggs if she absolutely has to.

They are very fuzzy, they smell nice (you can take my word for it if you don't wish to find that one out for yourself! :) ), they have a tight-knit social structure, they work hard, they pollinate many of our most useful crops, and they make honey. They are normally very peaceful and gentle but you do NOT want to piss them off!

Well ... and they tend to get very mellow when they encounter smoke, but that might not be the precise kind of analogy that we are looking for ... :P

-GB

I am not too fond of the idea of a mascot, but I really, really like honeybees a lot and so I'm in a bit of a conflict.

I saw the title and thought ... I bet the op has an anime or cartoon avatar... Sure enough

Really ? Fuck me we need a teen section just to keep the sillyness contained

There's no need to be so hostile. And the OP did warn for what their tastes would be if mascot design were left up to them. And it isn't like mascots belong only in the realm of anime/manga/cartoon/comic fans.

To be honest, I kinda treat cake like our mascot :lol: but that may not be the best idea.

I dunno, the flag thing was for all asexuality. This proposal is for just AVEN isn't it? I'm not really for or against it and it seems a bit... I'm weary of mascots outside of sports teams and charities. But I'm not hating on the idea either.

Lord Happy Toast

Because of the predominantly negative feedback that was given, the mascot idea is now pretty much dead.

• 4 years later...
Lewis Pavey28

I am for it personally I think it would promote us more etc

LadyWallflower

I am surprised that so many people were so vehemently against it. I am not strongly for or against it, but I think a contest would encourage creativity. We wouldn’t have to make the mascot super official or anything, it could just be for fun. I know some people have already made their own mascots in their mind. For instance, if you look up asexual jewelry, dragons show up because of Charlie. I actually am considering getting one.

Edit: I just realized that most of these posts are from 2010! Whoa! I wonder who brought it back from the dead? When I commented on it, it was the newest post in the Visibility forum. I apologize for commenting on it.

I am surprised that so many people were so vehemently against it. I am not strongly for or against it, but I think a contest would encourage creativity. We wouldn’t have to make the mascot super official or anything, it could just be for fun. I know some people have already made their own mascots in their mind. For instance, if you look up asexual jewelry, dragons show up because of Charlie. I actually am considering getting one.

I'm with you. When I read the topic title i thought about something unofficial, just made to have fun and do something creative. Also thought that a cute piece of cake with big eyes would be very cute (because, we have cake, why do we need more?), but then I read this:

They are very fuzzy, they smell nice (you can take my word for it if you don't wish to find that one out for yourself! smile.gif ), they have a tight-knit social structure, they work hard, they pollinate many of our most useful crops, and they make honey. They are normally very peaceful and gentle but you do NOT want to piss them off!

Well ... and they tend to get very mellow when they encounter smoke, but that might not be the precise kind of analogy that we are looking for ... tongue.gif

-GB

I just want to say that i simply love the idea, is very great and i like it a lot. I like how the honeybee is asexual but in some circumstances can lay eggs, and I think that pictures very well the perspective of sex in some asexuals and all that, so i see as a very inclusive icon. And is also cute, but not too cute so it could be made fun of, and the wordplay is very clever.

Something age-neutral, please. Sixteen-year-olds will probably come in by themselves; 36-year-olds are the ones who need to be informed.

A bee would be fine. "A bee" -- or "Ace Bee". If we want to recruit, it could be "Be(e) Ace!" No, not that...

I'm not saying that it should be done or anything like that, I actually only post because I really loved the idea of the bee, it's a very good one.

So, to take this ancient thread up again:

Do homosexuals have mascots?

Do heterosexuals have mascots?

No. They have words to describe themselves, and they're not some sort of fandom.

If we want visibility, we have to pull in the people who probably aren't going to respond to a mascot: people over 30. Otherwise, asexuals will be seen as a bunch of teens. Nothing against teens, but they don't constitute asexuality.

I agree with Sally. I think it's important for this movement to be taken seriously, and a mascot would be too cutesy.

Wow, that was quite a necropost. 4.5 years.

I don't see the point of a mascot. But I'd like it if there was a contest. I mean, who wouldn't want to see some funny pictures of cakes with eyes? :D

Rising Sun

I mean, who wouldn't want to see some funny pictures of cakes with eyes? :D

Nooooooo ! I want to enjoy eating cake and not feel guilty about murdering a poor little cake that could have eyes ! I don't want to have nightmares after :P

I mean, who wouldn't want to see some funny pictures of cakes with eyes? :D

Nooooooo ! I want to enjoy eating cake and not feel guilty about murdering a poor little cake that could have eyes ! I don't want to have nightmares after :P

You raise a fair point. There will have to be TWs :P

The discussion was about making an unofficial mascot for AVEN not for asexuality. But it never happened anyway.

No. They have words to describe themselves, and they're not some sort of fandom.

If we want visibility, we have to pull in the people who probably aren't going to respond to a mascot: people over 30. Otherwise, asexuals will be seen as a bunch of teens. Nothing against teens, but they don't constitute asexuality.

This is my take on it as well. Although I do like the idea of mascots in general, it doesn't seem at all appropriate here.

It's not about looking cool or cute, it's about informing people.

• 5 months later...

This is my take on it as well. Although I do like the idea of mascots in general, it doesn't seem at all appropriate here.

It's not about looking cool or cute, it's about informing people.

I couldn't agree more.

(by the way a panda could be a good mascot... hahaha)

• 1 month later...

I don't see any thing wrong with having and animal symbol for asexual people. But I would not call it a mascot!

I think the bee is a great idea. It's a very positive symbol. Somthing more engaging and less expected like a flag.(I'm not anti flag)

We're basically an unknown group and having other visual mediums of than the flag might not be such a bad thing.

just a thought

Archived