Health benefits of sex

The A Life Team

14 members have voted

1. 1. So you think health benefits of having sex apply to asexuals?

• Yes, and that is why I have sex
    • Yes, but they are easily offset by adverse mental or physical reactions
    • Yes, but I still don't want to do it.
    • Maybe.
    • No, because the benefits are attributable to mental or physical reactions that don't apply to asexuals
    • No, it is more likely that having sex would be harmful
    • No
    • Other (Please elaborate)

The A Life Team

The crew leans back with a topicless episode of A Life once again, which means that more topics are covered than in any regular episode. Among other items of interest, the crew talks about possible health benefits of having sex and the balancing health risks involved, reactions with encountering sexuality in the wild and other considerations of general interest.

Please do add your thoughts about the subject, but I urge you to listen to the show first. It will considerably clarify the poll and give tons of thought-provoking entertainment. You can find the show here:

http://alifepodcast.wordpress.com/

Admiral Kitteh

Honestly, I don't think sex has an overwhelming major effect on health as some people make it out to believe. Yes, it does have slight benefits, but nothing major that'd make me want to have sex. I take care of myself and I'm just as healthy as someone who was sexual. I know science says they back up these claims of benefits, but their studies don't show an overwhelming majority of the sexual populous compared to an overwhelming minority of those who abstain to make the benefits seem colossal on a grand scale---it's not thoroughly convincing. On one hand, yeah, it could apply to asexuals because the majority of us are physically capable of having sex (meaning there is nothing wrong with our bodies or our sexual organs), it's the matter of wanting it or having a desire for it. There are also asexuals who are not capable of having sex, but there also sexual people who enjoy sex but are physically unable to have it (for any number of reasons). I do know that some asexuals have sex for different reasons (for their spouse/lover, health benefits, procreation, etc) and that's fine. In all honesty, this question is slightly too broad to give a specific answer. Me answering, anyway. I just gave a personal opinion, I just hope whatever I said up there made any sense.

(I'd also appreciate if you didn't categorize my answer in your "good or bad responses".)

JJButterworth

I am not sure but if I were to guess I would say that an asexual would probably only benefit from the physical benefits of sexual activity and not the mental.

Stormy Wether

Quite likely the physical benefits, if any, would be outweighed by the emotional damage. I'd put mental well-being ahead of physical any time.

Archived