Going Alone

The A Life Team

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are you uncomfortable attending events alone?

• Yes, I might even bring a pretend date
    • Yes, but I don't do anything about it
    • Sometimes
    • No, but I am aware of the social expectation
    • No, I don't care
    • Other

The A Life Team

Society has built in an expectation for a person to bring a date for gatherings of several variety. So what to do if you have no desire to bring a date, should you still attend? Should you challenge the expectation or simply ignore it? These are questions that are raised in this episode of A Life.

Please do add your thoughts about the subject, but I urge you to listen to the show first. It will considerably clarify the poll and give tons of thought-provoking entertainment. You can find the show here:

http://alifepodcast.wordpress.com/

I voted "other" because I generally LIKE going to social events alone/"stag", it always seems awkward for me to Have a date. For me this includes any event - weddings, dances, parties, social gatherings in general.

TheChronicWanderer

I'd probably bring a friend, and let the others that attend assume what they wish.

I would go alone by default. But then I'd be sort of confused at the idea of bringing someone along to begin with, unless perhaps a friend wanted to go with me or something. (I tend to assume that societal conventions about bringing dates Do Not Apply to me.)

Hot_Air_Balloons

I always just go alone. I wish I had a guy friend who could be my pretend boyfriend sometimes! Or at least come as my "date". I always feel self-conscious about it.

I voted: Yes, but I don't do anything about it

Good poll.

The MoUsY spell-checker

I've never been to anything where one is expected to bring a partner. (Don't have a job yet, so no office parties.)

That said, I go to lots of meetups, and when I first started going to those, I wanted someone to take with me so that there'd be someone I know.

I no longer feel this way. I know enough people so that at just about any social event I attend, there is someone I know anyway. I do often invite friends anyway, but that's more about promoting the events.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the problem at most events is that you are expected to bring a "date" per se. You just need to bring someone period, whether it be a friend, coworker, family member, ect. I think this expectation in our society is rather sad, especially considering the "independent" front we like to put on in our society. I often go to events alone, even fancy restaurants. Fancy restuarants are the hardest for me because theres almost never anyone else there alone, and oftentimes the staff looks at me like I am crazy and often treat me differently (some places do give fabulous service when I come in alone, and this more than anything helps make my experience enjoyable). I never return to a restuarant where I have been treated poorly because I am alone, no matter how good the food was. Going out with friends is certainly more fun, but I hope more people start to realize that being by yourself is also fun too, and you should be able to go and do anything you want, even if you can't find someone to go with.

Archived