Asexual Feminism The Zine

Mage

Previously I posted a topic about publishing on asexual feminism, and during the process of writing about the relationship between asexuality and feminist theory I realized that the best option right now is to create a zine with other asexual feminists. This is what I plan to do, and here is a call for submissions! Please feel free to share this outside of AVEN if you know others who might want to contribute.

Asexual Feminism The Zine

This zine will feature the essays, poems, blurbs, paintings and other printable works of asexual-identified (including demisexual and gray-A) feminists of all genders on a variety of subjects (one covered per issue) that are relevant to asexuality. Contributers from all schools of feminism are welcome. Asexual Feminism will be distributed in women's resource centers, zine libraries, and to interested individuals for free or for a small donation to help cover printing costs. Contributers receive a printed copy of the completed zine, as well as a .pdf copy by email for self-distribution purposes.

Issue #1: What is Asexual Feminism?

Contributer guidelines:

For the first issue please submit any writings or artworks which explain your perspective on the relevance of asexuality to feminism. Free thinking and creativity is encouraged. Some possible questions you might answer include: what is asexual feminism? What is the relationship between asexual feminism and other feminist theories of sexuality? What are some of the issues that asexuals face as a result of sexual orientation? Any other questions you can think of to answer related to feminism and the asexual orientation is welcomed.

Please include: the work, any special details regarding the work which would need to be taken into consideration prior to publishing, contact information, and the name you would like to be published under.

Deadline to submit: July 16th 2010

You will hear back from me about whether your work will be used by July 23rd, and this issue will go to press around July 30th.

Contact and send submissions to: asexualfeminism@gmail.com

Edit: It has been brought to my attention that it will be necessary to give you an idea of what submission length should be. I'm looking for submissions that are any length between 2 sentences to 3 pages, single-spaced 12 point font. Please try to stay within this range, as I'd like to include as many voices as possible in a small-ish zine.

Thanks for posting this, Mage. It sounds like an awesome idea and I would love to submit something. I have already started brainstorming. :)

I've got some ideas, too. :) I really hope this takes off; I'd be very interested in reading it.

I thought about it for a bit, and have you posted this idea anywhere else? Say, the livejournal comm or Apositive or even contacting a few feminist queer blogs to ask if they'd mention it? I know there are a few feminist asexuals who have since moved on from AVEN, and not everyone in the asexual community regularly reads here. (I kind of feel hesitant to wander into a community I'm not all that active in and post someone else's project.)

I thought about it for a bit, and have you posted this idea anywhere else? Say, the livejournal comm or Apositive or even contacting a few feminist queer blogs to ask if they'd mention it? I know there are a few feminist asexuals who have since moved on from AVEN, and not everyone in the asexual community regularly reads here. (I kind of feel hesitant to wander into a community I'm not all that active in and post someone else's project.)

Thanks, I will post at these places. Other than AVEN I have mentioned this to a few asexual friends, and I'm about to contact those bloggers. I will def bring it up elsewhere. :)

Thanks for the responses, I hope you email me your submissions. I know that you will come up with some good works!

This is fantastic <3 I'd love to contribute, I'm just not sure if I can think of anything...

Will writers receive a contributor's copy mailed to them?

I have something you might be able to use, but I would like one or two copies of the zine with my work.

Will writers receive a contributor's copy mailed to them?

I have something you might be able to use, but I would like one or two copies of the zine with my work.

Absolutely. I can send you two hard copies in the mail plus a .pdf by email so you can make additional copies as you see fit. I'd be happy to make a few more for a small fee to cover copy prices, but everyone who contributes will receive one or two copies free of charge by post.

I shall send you something soon...

Okay, let me know if you got it...

Okay, let me know if you got it...

Yes! I got it, I'll review it and send you questions about it shortly... Thanks for submitting. How exciting!

Okay. Cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still accepting submissions through July! Send in anything at all related to this topic. It doesn't have to be perfect or academic.

I'm working on something right now. Sorry it's taken me so long to send it--I've just been pretty busy lately and I had a slight case of writer's block...hate when that happens. But I'm feeling sufficiently inspired now, so you'll be hearing from me soon. :)

I've just submitted my contribution. I had a nasty case of writers' block about it plus a fairly unpleasant schedule, so feel free to email me back with any proofing advice.

Yes! I am digging this. By all means, people, take your time. I have loved all the submissions so far, and if I haven't gotten back to you personally yet I will shortly.

Also I want to reiterate, since some people outside of asexual communities (allies) have asked what in the heck I mean by asexual feminism, this is about explaining what you personally think asexual feminism is or why asexuality should be important for feminists to think about. I had thought this was kind of obvious, but since multiple sexuals kept asking me, I thought I'd point it out. I know there are multiple feminist schools of thought and I'm not trying to say that there is only one "asexual feminism," rather that this could be a great way to explain ourselves as asexuals and feminists in a sort of informal/loosely structured communal setting. It's also about whatever you want it to be about! I'm really just the (tireless) editor and distributor.

I think this is really intersting! Is the Zine usually just a feminism publication that is doing a feature on asexual feminism?

I'll create some pieces and see if anything might be good enough to send. Thanks for the opportunity!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've submitted my essay. Let me know if you got it.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I've missed the deadline for this issue (decided to sit it out and lurk)

How will the zine be published? Online or paper? If it is paper, will readers be able to order them?

Oh! and how often will they be released? monthly or every couple month?

I'm really excited about this~ :wub:

Ooh. I'd like to know if we're doing another issue, also. Perhaps with some sort of theme per issue? I'd be pleased to submit essays on a semi-regular or regular basis if we were able to make this a fairly regular thing.

I just found out about this too and would be interested in reading and maybe contributing in the future...

Amputation Defenestration

Um, this sounds really fabulous.

• 4 weeks later...
TreacleSponge

Some good articles. The thing I love the most is the look and style of this zine.

Daisy. Why? Why not?!

• 2 weeks later...

HEY! Sorry I haven't been on in a long time. I've been so busy!

For those of you who are in Portland, there are copies of the zine at Reading Frenzy (I just restocked today) and there should be some at In Other Words. I recommend calling these stores before you go in, to save the trip in case they've sold. I'm selling them for $3 each to help with some of the printing costs. You're welcome to print as many copies as you like from the .pdf that sciatrix is hosting or just take your copy to a copy machine. Whatevs, it's chill.

And to answer some of your questions, YES there will be at least one more issue and I am accepting submissions. I'm planning to go to press sometime in December, so submit any time before then if you want to be included in that issue (otherwise I'll put it in the next one). I'd like it if you could write about medicalization of asexuality from your feminist perspective for the upcoming issue, but I'll accept anything having to do with asexuality and feminism. If you submit I'll send you a couple copies of the issue for free, because I love you.

I'll take theory, stories, poems, comics, blurbs, photos, anything! By the way, email: asexualfeminism@gmail.com

I'm not on AVEN often.

Peace,

Mage

You sold some... ? In a regular actual store... ??? My work finally sold!!! YES !!!

Archived