A couple of newspaper articles from the '70s

Lord Happy Toast

Lord Happy Toast

So it turns out there there were at least two newspaper articles about asexuality published in the late 70's. Just in the past few days, I finally felt motivated enough to head over to the library and read them on microfilm (which involved having to learn how to use microfilm.) They were pretty interesting. I printed out copies, but I can't scan them because they would be completely unreadable.

Here's the bibliographic info for anyone else who feels so motivated:

Bell, Arthur "Asexuality: Everybody's Not Doing It." The Village Voice, January 23 1978. p. 1, 20, 21

Hoppe, Arthur. "A New Sex Fad." The San Fransisco Chronicle. October 10, 1979. p. 57

The first of these is a front page article and is an actual news story. The second is an editorial consisting on a fictitious (and rather amusing) interview with "C. Wordsworth Gates, a 47-year-old Iowa bowling instructor who recently came out of the closet to become president of the militant Asexual Liberation Movement."

Anyway, I enjoyed reading them and thought I'd share them with anyone else who want to look them up.

edited.

2014 Mod Edit: Here's the 1978 article, I'm still looking for the other one.

nJDPWo0.jpg

7uBxWCf.jpg
5ryP3hg.jpg
9p3a7uj.jpg

4OAwLBn.jpg

yAYYuY3.jpg

Art Hoppe was a syndicated humor columnist. He was actually very funny. I don't remember any other mention of asexuality in the 70s. In the 70s it was still OK to make rather humorously disparaging comments about just about anyone except black people. Hoppe wrote columns about the South Vietnamese generals quite a bit during the Vietnam War. In several he talked about General Hu Dat Dar. (Just say it.)

Lord Happy Toast
Art Hoppe was a syndicated humor columnist.

That would explain a lot. (I thoroughly enjoyed it, and thought it was quite funny. Perhaps one of these days if I feel really motivated, I'll type it up.)

Ooh, those sound neat. I'll have to see if we have them on microfilm in my library. Though I don't like microfilm very much...I've learned how to use it and I'm still confused by it. ><

But yay asexuality being mentioned multiple decades ago! *dances*

Archived