What's your ideas about Platonic love?

some friends of mine consider me as a platonic type since they're aware that i'm not interested in sex. i try to tell them i'm not interested in any type of romance either. but they just don't see the difference... :blink:

i look up online and there're not a proper conclusion but several different explanations of 'platonic love'. One says it refers to like 'pure romance without sexual matters involved'. some other say it actully IS very deep friendship. And another simply says platonic love covers both of the two above while there's actually not constitutionally different between them....

so what do you think?

Shortass Lady

Romantic attraction might be hard to explain to you if you're aromantic. You sort of feel drawn to a person, you feel affectionate towards them but in a way that has a different quality to friends you're not romantically attracted to (even if you love these friends). You tend to want to get to know them better and spend lots of time with them, and one part of your brain may be telling you how lovely / adorable / sweet / beautiful the person is, (even in cases where the rest of your brain knows they are ugly or horrible!).

But anyway, to me platonic love would be this ^ taken to the extreme (so that you are in a state of 'being in love'). No sexual activity with the person would be desired or necessary. In a way yes it would be like a very good friendship, with 'being in love' involved too. It would be like a great, solid relationship between two sexuals, but then just imagine cutting out the shagging part.

Tada! (I think?!) :huh:

I always thought of platonic love as deep friendship, no romance. I mean, unless you find your friendship romantic. Which is hard to explain actually. It's not romantic friendship. It's just feeling romantically about the friendship like you can feel romantic about a book or about the autumn or maybe a really beautiful painting or poem. Err. Anywho. But the point is, no other kind of romance enters into it. Hell, now that I think about it, what exactly IS romance? That's a tricky one right there.

I'm with cait on this one.

I believe platonic love to be an extremely close friendship, with both parties having feelings toward each other, while there's no sex. I have no idea if it involves kissing but it doesn't involve touching in the nether regions.

i could never figure out what people meant by 'platonic' so i just don't even use the phrase.

For me (and it's a purely personal way of understanding the concept), a platonic relationship is also synonymous of a deep friendship, a special bond between two persons, most likely with some kind of romantic feelings but without any sexual behaviors and not even touching (like cuddling or kissing). It's mental and emotional, without any physical or sensual aspects in the relationship.